140 Mercruiser remote control

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found this NOS control unit online, advertised as Mercruiser PN 64326A5. It was originally depicted with the shift cable and wires coming out of the top of the assembly and the arm attached so as to appear to be for a port side application, rather than starboard as it was being described. When I inquired and pointed out that it appeared to be for the port side, they changed the photo to what I have attached and said the arm was just installed wrong in the original photo. The Mercruiser parts photos I have found appear to show the assembly with the shift cable and wires coming out the top, which would mean that the unit in the attached photo is shown upside down, except for the arm.

Does anybody know if the unit could be operated as shown? This would mean that when you push the arm forward, you are actually moving the shifter so as to put the unit in reverse if it were mounted "right side up". On the other hand, perhaps these were meant to be interchangeable from port to starboard by just flipping the unit "upside down". Anybody know?

Attachments

• photo233994.png
    photo233994.png
    643.8 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... I believe you'll find that the handle is on splines, 'n can be mounted in 'bout any position you'd care to mount it,....

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree that the arm can easily be installed either way. I am just concerned that there may be some limitation in the control when moving the control assembly the opposite direction of what it would be if the assembly were flipped the other way. In other words, you would be pushing forward to go into what would be reverse if installed the other way and vice versa.

Bondo

Staff member
In other words, you would be pushing forward to go into what would be reverse if installed the other way and vice versa.

Ayuh,.... There's usually another set of holes to attach the cables to, to do that,.....

Many to most controls will pull or push a cable,....

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found another NOS control that is for the starboard side. I doubt that the one I found earlier would have worked. Pretty tacky of the seller to turn it upside-down,take a new picture, and call a port unit a starboard unit.