2001 305 CID

juliolop

Seaman
Hi
I'm rebuilding my engine and have some doubts about where to place alternator bracket.
Mine is at your upper left if you see the engine from inside the boat.
Alpha Configuration
can anyone has a picture or procedure to install this alternator,
thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
guessing its a serpentine belt setup so the alt is bolted solid to the bracket

juliolop

Seaman
yes I know and it's a serpentine.
maybe I wasn't so clear in my explanation but I meant the other bracket, the little one, No.21.
when you bolt the big bracket No.7 in the schematic (please see attachment) the bracket is like a little open toward outside and the other little bracket looks like the responsible to keep it in the right position to keep the bracket-alt alignment with other pulleys.
That's the reason why I asked about a procedure.
if you see there is two holes in the block where you can bolt this bracket, one in the head and the other down there close to mechanical fuel pump opening.
I found a picture and the bracket goes to the head.
thanks
by the way, my first concern was many people say that hole down there usually leak oil in small blocks engines, do you know anything about it? my engine.jpg .
see picture attached
best regards

Attachments

• ALTERNATOR-BRACKETS-DELCO.pdf
    59.4 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
by the way, my first concern was many people say that hole down there usually leak oil in small blocks engines, do you know anything about it?

Ayuh,.... If this is a mechanical fuel pump block,....

Ya, there oughta be a 1/2" long, 3/8" bolt to fill that hole,....

A longer bolt can be inserted in there to snug the fuel pump pushrod, for changin' the fuel pump,....
To long a bolt, 'n ya bend the pushrod,....

The short bolt makes sure oil don't seep out,.... a plug so to speak,...

juliolop

Seaman
other thing, I got a new ignition coil in auto-zone, very similar to my old one, I read "external resistor needed" is this an issue with my Thunderbolt distributor and ICM ????? they said is the same coil.

alldodge

Staff member
other thing, I got a new ignition coil in auto-zone, very similar to my old one, I read "external resistor needed" is this an issue with my Thunderbolt distributor and ICM ????? they said is the same coil.

Take it back, the TB-V requires an internal resistor or no mention of a resistor. The external resistor coils are for those with points and condenser

Merc part number 300-8M0079202

Bondo

Staff member
I got a new ignition coil in auto-zone, very similar to my old one,

Ayuh,.... Whatsa matter with the ole one,..??

They rarely ever go bad,....

juliolop

Seaman
this engine wasn't working and I wanted to replace it, also it looked pretty bad, do you have any PN ????

juliolop

Seaman
Ayuh,.... If this is a mechanical fuel pump block,....

Ya, there oughta be a 1/2" long, 3/8" bolt to fill that hole,....

A longer bolt can be inserted in there to snug the fuel pump pushrod, for changin' the fuel pump,....
To long a bolt, 'n ya bend the pushrod,....

The short bolt makes sure oil don't seep out,.... a plug so to speak,...

>>> even when the fuel pump is electrical?