pre alpha shift cable

brighp2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an old mercrusier sterndrive serial number 2584058 and I'm trying to find a shift cable for it. anyone have a good lead on where I can pick one up?

alesk565

Cadet
I tried to buy a shift cable to my outdrive from around 1970. Got told that it was replaced with the new model which meant that I had to make a new thread in my gimbal housing from the back. (Since the old one was threaded from the front to be able to use the new wire.

FYI: thread 1/4-18 NPT and since it is conical be careful so you dont run it to far through.

Didn't respond to your question but it might help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the correct thread is NPST .its a straight tap not a tapered one

brighp2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried to buy a shift cable to my outdrive from around 1970. Got told that it was replaced with the new model which meant that I had to make a new thread in my gimbal housing from the back. (Since the old one was threaded from the front to be able to use the new wire.

FYI: thread 1/4-18 NPT and since it is conical be careful so you dont run it to far through.

Didn't respond to your question but it might help.
is the cable that you are suppost to replace it with for the alpha series or something special?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the standard cable for todays drive including the GEN II drive

thumpar

Admiral
Just make sure you use a straight thread tap. They are harder to find than pipe thread from what I have seen.

brighp2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
thanks for all the help. got the new cable installed and everything is working great