mercruiser swap 140 from 85 model to a 95 riniker fit ?

hi everyone ,I need advice here ,I just got a boat from my friend it is a 1995 riniker model 180 he said it had a 3.0 merc /mercruiser drive ....I have a 1985 winner boat with a 4 cyl 140 complete with drive ,the rininker is a nice boat I would like to remove the 140 from the old boat and install the complete assembly into the 95 riniker that has nothing in the back end now just the hole with 6 bolt holes ( 3 on each side ) I am not the inboard expert my deal is outboards ......the 1985 outdrive just says mercruiser on it with a red and silver logo with a wavy mercruiser flag ........ any opinions here guys ? please ........ps wiring harness connector to the motor looks the same ... the only thing I noticed so far was the 140 motor mount sits onto a wide metal iron that sits onto the sides of the motor cavity ,the newer boat doesn't have the sides but it looks like it could use the 2 bolt triangle shaped cast mount and the holes in the rininker motor cavity ( 2 bolt holes 12 inches across on the bottom )

Volphin

Lieutenant
You are going to have to take some measurements to see if the swap is feasible. I personally think it would be underpowered even if the swap worked. You need to also check very closely for transom rot.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
There will be a couple of bolt differences, but not insurmountable. The 95 would have been an Alpha 1 Gen2, while the 85 is a plain ol' Alpha1. The Gen2 has a couple more bolts on it that are missing in the older transom plate and gimbal housing. You should be able to just fill the holes with 5200, or even ignore them and move on with the installation.

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
it is a 1995 riniker model 180 he said it had a 3.0 merc /mercruiser drive ....I have a 1985 winner boat with a 4 cyl 140 complete with drive ,

Ayuh,...... It should be a drop in swap, plug, 'n play,.....

thank you everyone ,the 95 is a very nice boat ,just hated to part it out .......im guessing these mercruisers had some differences before the 85 year as well .... the 85 was torn up inside by raccoons before I got it lol and I checked the floor and its weak in the rear corners so just as well it will now be a donor but I will have a nice easy loader trailer left over ............any special seal for the back or just some good sealant ? thank you again everyone have a good day

the rear transom looks and feels perfect ,but I will double check inside and out before I start ...yep your probably right about the underpowered 140 if I throw this assembly in there I will probably keep the boat for myself as a cruiser (no skiing or tubing ) should be ok for the small lakes where I live with the right prop

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You will need a new gimbal housing to transom seal and probably worth doing the bellows. Until you get it apart and inspect everything you won't know what else it will need. Probably water pump too.