Milky Outdrive oil. How bad am I screwed

THenning

Seaman
So, When winterizing, this happened, The dark oil is from changing the oil in the boat. This was a cheap boat (1978 18' Webbcraft with Mercruiser 228 - MC1 out Drive) The milky oil is what came out of the out drive. What are the next steps? How worried should I be?

Thanks as always for the wealth of information and your time. Much appreciated.

milky%20oil_zps89wzylpx.jpg~original

NHGuy

Captain
Not necessarily. Just leave it empty and remove the drive. We can walk you through testing it and deciding how to proceed.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I had some issues like that with my Bravo drives last year. It is a matter of pressure testing the out drive to find the leak and fixing what is leaking. Hopefully it is just a seal or two.

Looks like there is a fair amount of corrosion on the casing. So, maybe get that in check while you are working on it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Agreed, 1st step is pullin' the drive,....

Soder99

Cadet
The milky oil is definitely bad.

One other thing to look at... Does your drain plug have a magnet built into it? My plug on my Aplha 1 Gen 2 has a magnet and I always take a close look at what it has collected. Usually at the end of the year it has a coating of teeny tiny metal dust flecks over the magnet. Any more than that, especially big chunks, would give cause for concern.

THenning

Seaman
Ok, One shoulder surgery later and my arm is back in business and ready to test and rebuild. I Pulled the upper and lower when I winterized and have the outdrive sitting in my attached (Heated) garage. What would be my best steps to get this working. As a side note, I DID replace the sea impeller before putting the boat in the water this past season, any possibilities that the seal on that short pipe running between lower and upper was bad and that's all my problem is?

thumpar

Admiral
That short pipe is just a guide for the main tube for fitment. Even if both where bad it would not cause water in the lube. You need to pressurize the drive with air and find the leak. You can use a spray bottle with soap and water to help find it.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
When you replaced the water impeller did you install the quad ring over the oil passage between the upper and lower units?

THenning

Seaman
When you replaced the water impeller did you install the quad ring over the oil passage between the upper and lower units?
Checking this in the manual right now, I think so, I replaced the housing, too. THe lower housing was pretty tough to get on right.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
That's why you should change the oil when you put the boat away for the year. Don't let it sit half the winter with a milkshake. I'm not saying you did this.
And a good reason to use quality marine gear oil, it is formulated to give good protection with a certain amount of water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
As a side note, I DID replace the sea impeller before putting the boat in the water this past season, any possibilities that the seal on that short pipe running between lower and upper was bad and that's all my problem is?
Always a good idea to do a pressure test of the drive after doing service such as this.

I own a Stevens Instrument pressure tester s-34. A little pricey but a very good tester.
http://www.stevensinstrument.com/gearcase.htm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEVENS-S-3...903556?hash=item4d3c585484:g:i3YAAOSwf-VWYfNc

Last edited:

THenning

Seaman
Hey all, Thanks for your help so far!

My leak is in the drive shaft housing. Air comes out right by where the U Joint Shaft leaves the housing.

I know my outdrive is pre-alpha (1978 Webbcraft with Mercruiser 228 V8, 305 engine).

Any Ideas on how to tell which exact outdrive model this is, and which parts I may need to repair this?

Thanks again for all the help!

THenning

Seaman
Thanks a Bunch! Ordered the Upper Unit Seal kit.

Does anyone know if Any slide hammer will work or do I need the Mercruiser specific slide hammer puller?