Gimble Bearing Noise or Something Else?

rbpowered

Recruit
Crusader 5.7, Alpha Gen 2

Engine runs extremely quiet at idle, oil pressure 40 psi the whole time, cold or warmed up. Bring RPM up over 1200 or so in neutral and you get a loud roar like a whooped wheel bearing in a car with the same type of vibration you'd feel with a bad wheel bearing.

Wondering if this is the gimble bearing or possible engine main bearings or something else. Thoughts?​

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
It could be your gimball but that is difficult to say from a distance. It's not difficult to replace the bearing with the right tools. If you remove the drive then you can feel if the bearing is turning smoothly. If not, replace.

Bondo

Staff member
Bring RPM up over 1200 or so in neutral and you get a loud roar like a whooped wheel bearing in a car with the same type of vibration you'd feel with a bad wheel bearing.

Wondering if this is the gimble bearing or

Ayuh,.... If the gimbel bearin' is bad, the noise should get louder when the wheel is turned or the drive is trimmed, increasin' the angle the bearin' runs,....

rbpowered

Recruit
The bow was up on the jack so there was some angle to the drive. I'll lower the bow today and move the trim and steering around and see if it changes.

Probably pulling the engine to part out the boat, how risky is it to run it on the water one more time with the noisy bearing?

thumpar

Admiral
Pull the drive and put the hose in the water hole. Run it and see if you still have the noise. That will rule out the engine itself. You can also feel the bearing to see if it is smooth. If it is not then that would be it. If the bearing is smooth it could be the u-joints or worst case something in the drive.

rbpowered

Recruit
Greased the gimble, noise went completely away! Cant believe all that noise was quieted with a little grease. I assumed the marina greased it when they dewinterized it but apparently not. Still have to replace a shift cable bellow with a small hole. I'll check everything out when its apart.

Thanks for all the tips.​