3.0LX WOT Issues Plugs too clean

derek.davis

Cadet
Trying to diagnose a WOT issue, I can only get the motor to turn about 3300 RPMs. Other than not going over 3.3k seems to run good. Starts right up

I checked the compression, 3 cylinders have 170, 1 with 160. So far I have rebuilt the carb( When I rebuilt the carb, I reused my old float because I didn't like the float I bought, the measurement marks were off from the original and the mounting holes were too small causing it to stay open), added a fuel filter/separator, drained the fuel tank, new fuel pump, checked fuel system for air bubbles/restrictions, changed cap, rotor, wires, plugs. New, 4-blade 17 pitch prop. I checked the timing yesterday in the water, I set the base to 1 or 2 degrees BTDC, then it advanced to over 14 after I took it out of base mode, but then would only advance to about 22-23 at 3000. Oil looks good...

So, these are what my plugs look like after running it yesterday for about on hour on the water. Am I running lean or is this water getting into the cylinders?
Plug2.jpg
The boat is a 1995 wellcraft eclipse 182s
Engine serial number is 0F748259

jbcurt00

Staff member
Derek,
sorry, a bit of housekeeping.... Did you also register another username in error before registering this username? Looks like there was a typo?

If so, post here or send me a private message, accessed via the Messages link in the top right corner of any forum page, just to the left of your username.

If the other username was in error, no big deal, I'll just have it deleted.

Thanks

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ok, when it's done, I'll delete my first post, your reply and this one.

thanks

fishrdan

Admiral
Trying to diagnose a WOT issue, I can only get the motor to turn about 3300 RPMs.

I checked the timing yesterday in the water, I set the base to 1 or 2 degrees BTDC, then it advanced to over 14 after I took it out of base mode, but then would only advance to about 22-23 at 3000.

The 3.0L EST ignition is 11-14* at idle and 21-24* by 2800RPM, so your ignition looks like it's advancing just fine. I'd suspect that your boat and a 17P prop should be within it's WOT RPM range, or certainly more than 3300. Are you boating at high altitude or carrying a heave load, maybe water in the hull (weight boat) or a bad tach?

Has the boat ever run properly and is the boat new to you? If new to you, verify the outdrive's gear ratio. If someone stuck a V8 ratio drive on your 4cyl boat, that would explain the low RPM's

derek.davis

Cadet
The boat is new to me. I believe it has 1.94 on the outdrive. Serial number is 0F715307. I have been wanting to weigh the boat, I had to fix a hole on the bottom of the hull after I noticed it was taking on water. Haven't tested another tach yet, but it's next on my list. My top speed using a GPS is about 33.

I'm only about 700ft above sea level, carrying a small toolbox with 1 other passenger.

I'm going to try to weight it tonight, will post results

derek.davis

Cadet
Update on this:

I finally opened up the drive and checked what gears are in it. Looks like someone switched out the gears and put a 1.50 ratio set in there although 1.94 is clearly stamped on the drive. Not sure why or who would do that. But regardless I bought a new drive and hopefully will get to test it out soon.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Update on this:

I finally opened up the drive and checked what gears are in it. Looks like someone switched out the gears and put a 1.50 ratio set in there although 1.94 is clearly stamped on the drive. Not sure why or who would do that. But regardless I bought a new drive and hopefully will get to test it out soon.

You did a tooth count? That is a bad gear ratio for a 3.0L. Glad you checked it out. At least you should be able to sell the old drive.

Hope it runs good for you, all the work you have in it. You still need to look into the lean condition and make sure you get it closer on the plugs to tan.

Rick

derek.davis

Cadet
No Title

I put my drive on and took the boat out for a test run. Boat ran great! Even pulled me out of the water with ease.

The only thing I am curious about is my ignition module. After setting the base timing at 1 degree BTDC, out of base it jumps to 18 degrees at idle. Then only advances to about 22 degrees at 3000.

Should I buy a new module or not worry about it?

Attachments

• photo250555.jpg
    photo250555.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0