Winterizing new UNSTARTED engine.

SWBuechler

Cadet
Not quite completed project must be stored for the winter. Installed a new V8 5.7 in my boat. SOME oil in the lower end. Must store uncompleted for the winter. What do I do to protect the engine for the next few months? I can't start it because I'm not that far along. I'm concerned about the pistons and other internal parts being rusted or damaged during the wait for Spring. Is there a product I can spray in it to protect it? Do I need to crank it somehow by hand? Any suggestions for winter storage? It is currently mounted IN THE BOAT outside.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What is the history? A new engine will have plenty of assembly lube left over in it. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, if you are the really paranoid type you could pull out the plugs and put a tiny shot of oil down each hole, and then spin it over by hand a little.

My 4 stroke engines are rarely winterized, other than draining any fluid that will freeze, have yet to have a problem in many, many years.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah a couple of drops of oil can't hurt. Cover the carb and exhaust. If you are storing it inside I would not worry about it too much. If outside make sure it is well covered, and that water can not accumulate in the hull. Remember the air is a lot dryer in the winter and it is colder so there is actually LESS chance of rusting in the winter than the summer.

Volphin

Lieutenant
I have taped large black lawn bags over the intake and cylinder heads for winter storage. Just in case there is a leak in the cover over the winter.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
new motor never run? if so, spray oil in the cylinders if it makes you happy. I personally would simply put a bag over the prop to keep critters from storing crap up there in winter and call it good. I would fill up the outdrive, not for rust or other reasons, because you will forget, drop boat in water, go boating and need a tow back in when you toast the drive.