Planing question

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Ok, I just got done taking her out for one last time for the year before week her out for the season. I have something going on because when I had her up to 4800 rpm I really couldn't get her up on plane. I was running about 4800 rpm and only going about 10 mph. I have a 90 sundancer 250 with a 7.4 merc in her. Just before letting off if the throttle, I had noticed that it slipped into neutral. Am I correct thinking that I have a problem starting with my bravo drive?

ericcarr2000

Ensign
I don't recall any strange noises or smells. I'm gonna pull the drive off for the winter and do some inspection I guess. I'd did go right back into gear. After it slipped into neutral I put it into neutral then back into forward gear. I'll let you know what I find out.
Thanks

ericcarr2000

Ensign
Bottoms not too bad, not sure if there's water in the hull yet. I haven't pulled the drain plug yet.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
assuming it performed "normal" for your set up your last time out prior to discovering this issue, Id vote for spun hub, or one that's about to fail. only way to test that properly is under load in the drink...( you can put muffs on it and put in gear, might seem to run fine in gear, of course there's zero load doing that) . get a new hub and see. your bilge is working properly? have not taken on ton of water that would have swamped the foam?, even if it did to some degree should not be doing 10 at 4800.. id look first at the hub..

Last edited:

harleyman1975

Ensign
Yes the plastic hub in the propeller. they are replaceable...inexpensive too...if you just get the plastic part.

alldodge

Staff member
IS it a Bravo 1?

Edit: also is the water low and can you see grass in the water?

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Without the boat in the water you are going to have a hard time ruling out many of the possibilities.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes it's a bravo 1

The B1 and grass question comes from the water levels at many lakes are being lowered for winter. If there is grass (lake weed) I'm wondering if you have that wrapped around the prop. If it is all clean then I'll be with others in the possible problems

thumpar

Admiral
I have had that problem with weeds on my B1 before. At first I thought I spun my prop hub and then realized I had been idling through a shallow bay. I just threw it in reverse and gave it a rev and that cleaned it.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
as Thumpar said, and as I mentioned you cant rule out much unless you get it in the water.. get a replacement hub, remove the prop, the hub sits on the slines. youd have to push it out of the prop probably, .pull if off and replace it, look at the old hub, its squared off a bit, if its stripping and slipping you will see that wear... install prop back on, give it a whirl....if your still going 10mph, its not the hub and you've only spent a few bucks ruling that out... as to it slipping into neutral, there is a shift cable adjustment nut that might need adjusting... Im assuming all Merc's have em...

Last edited: