kicked a rod through the pan, what to patch the pan with

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have no idea what type engine you are talking about. But if you think the connecting rod is broken and banging on the pan, running it would present the possibility of breaking the block eventually, or damaging other engine components. Why not find some one to tow you to your marina instead of totally trashing the remaining of the engine? :noidea:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Hmmm....just did a rough calculation, figure 1000 RPM, 5 mph, that is 12 min per mile, 240 min for the trip. Think it will hold up for another 3 hours, 240,000 times slamming that broken rod around? Should be an interesting trip.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
After duct taping the pan you might want to try super gluing the rod back in place. Just a thought.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I can't believe you got, what, 24 posts on this :crutch:

right on.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Staff member
put a 10lbs pulley on the supercharger got it up to about 6500rpms and it let loose. idled it to nearest marina. going to patch the pan the best i can getting my hand under there and back to my marina Saturday
Hi there alamantia, I just went back and read a good handful of your past started topics!
It appears you have done some extensive work to your new to you 1989 Chris Craft 245 with a 454 and a Bravo 1 performance drive. Jugging by some of the photos, the engine looked to be in bad shape with all the water that sat and/or ran through it. Sorry to hear that the bottom end of the engine potentiality gave out on you as well.

With all the work and items you bought/wanted to do and actually did to this engine, did you really deiced to install a blower on top of it as well? If that's the case then on your next engine block that more than most likely you will need to get whether you run the engine up to the marina or not, you'll want to consider having the next engine properly built up correctly to withstand the additional power increases.

As I'm sure you're well aware, 'yours, others along with everyone's personal property that could become involved, 'safety is of first concern.
Please be aware that most members on a public forum by default is only going to recommend that if you know there is a potential hazard that could evolve then it's always best to find another away around the potential hazard...No matter what the issue is whether it be how you drain engine oil to your safety of making it to the marina and beyond.

In this case the advice would be getting towed vs running an already severely damaged engine on a patch job to slow one item while the main failure point is jogging around and at the very least going to reopen the patch job of the oil pan allowing more oil to flow out to seize the engine or quiet possibly another part of the engine will fall out of place and seize the engine during your journey to the marina.

At times, some forum members that ask questions are in a state of only wanting to see or do what may seem the only way to accomplish something at the time 'while we're all hear to help try our best at reminding others of the potential risks they seem to be venturing into and recommend other ideas.....All the while we'll eventually try to help with the original question at hand even if it still seems like a bad idea.

Should you truly decide to run the boat to the marina some 20 miles away......Before heading out, you'll want to have a few back up plans in place should something else go wrong since you're heading out with a known problem already in place to seize the engine.

One would be to have the anchor at the ready with a long rope so you won't end up on shore causing hull damage to the boat and stern drive. Another is to have a sure way to find additional help such as a local boat towing company. With all the issues you've been having lately, It would be best to check into a yearly towing company membership since calling them out without a membership is very expensive per hour and the clock starts at the time of the call....not when they pull up on scene. Typically their per hour is more than a yearly membership. Or like mentioned, have or hire a boating friend to follow you up so he would be able to take you the rest of the way in plus you'll a have ride back home with him on his boat.;)

All that mentioned, and reading some past topics, please bear in mind that the hosts of iboats forums prefers that any negative back and forth feedback between members just wanting to advise safety type concerns or add additional ideas needs to be done so at very extreme minimums of negativity.

Thank you and good luck to you.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
O/P you strike me as being quite stubborn.... Not an insult... If you have a good idea being stubborn is a great thing but please understand that at times it can also be a bad thing if it causes you to ignore advice that may well save you from making a mistake.

In my opinion you have a slight chance of getting to your marina safe and sound but have a VERY high chance of having more problems.

The risk of fire is VERY real and hot oil on a hot engine burns FAST.

You have a 99% chance of destroying currently salvageable engine parts. And I'd say about a 90% chance of being stranded dead in the water and needing the tow everyone is all but begging you to get from the start.

Planning a tow now while safely tied to the dock may be hard but it will likely be much harder while drifting. Any commercial boat traffic where you are? Getting run over would surely ruin your day.

If you are still intent to patch it simply wipe well with solvent, and affix a patch of about any material that will stick with RTV... Ventilate fumes while curing and there ya go.... Understand tho that the broken rod half on the crank will almost definately re puncture your patch.

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
made it back, just like i said i would. i logged in to say i told ya so but i read a lot of the replies on here and i think i am done with this forum

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What no pictures to show you made it?

I hope you find another forum that gives advice you will listen too..

Since you are done with the forum, this thread is now closed before any members write something you don't want to read. Good luck fixing what's left of the motor. Sorry we waisted (sic) your time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.