Mercruiser Pre Alpha (R) Lower Unit reassembly

SWBuechler

Cadet
So ..... I remove the lower unit on my pre-alpha (R) outdrive to replace the impeller and impeller housing. When reading the manual to insure I'm following all the steps to re-install the lower unit I come across THIS bit of news; "Observe closely that the stainless steel special washer is installed properly over the shift shaft bushing. This washer MUST be made of stainless steel. NEVER attempt to use an iron or brass washer, because the washer prevents the shift shaft in the upper gear housing from working up-and-down as it turns." And it is accompanied by the attached REALLY unhelpful picture. There was no washer here when I removed the lower unit and there is no information regarding the size of the washer or how, exactly, it fits onto the shift shaft bushing. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Boat Washer Pic.png
    Boat Washer Pic.png
    98.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Boat Washer Instructions.png
    Boat Washer Instructions.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 4

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Guessing that this is the washer in question (#50). Without it, the upper shift shaft slips down out of the shift shoe. Doesn't seem like a close tolerance piece, not sure why they're so specific about what can't be used. It just slides over the top. Easy to lose when you split the drive, so you might have had it there initially.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
^^^ Like Mike mentions, it just sits there - and is basically just a spacer. Here's a good pic:

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

SWBuechler

Cadet
Thanks so much. That is all really good information. Fishermark .... I can't seem to see the pic you posted. That would be REALLY helpful.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

Here's a couple images

Attachments

• photo232280.jpg
    photo232280.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo232281.jpg
    photo232281.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2