Help to Diagnose Fuel Problem

THenning

Seaman
HI All,

1978 Webbcraft 18V with Gm 305 Mercruiser 288 & Rochester Quadrajet Carb.

Bought the boat on the cheap.

Rebuilt Carb, Changed Sea Impeller, New Fuel/Water Separator, New Alternator, Compression @ 150 all the way around save for a couple 130's.

Put 30 hours on boat in August/September without Issue.

2 Weeks ago I would bring it up to plane and engine would just quit suddenly, like it ran out of gas in the bowl. Would Start and do the same thing over and over after turning a few times. Was able to drive home 2k RPM just fine, but would hit a wall at WOT.

Changed Fuel Filter.

Problem seemed to go away. Ran fine for another 5 hours.

Yesterday, Boat warmed up, then died after shifting into gear. Then would not stay started. I could get it started by pumping throttle/hitting accelerator pump. Would stay running for 3-5 seconds after cranking then die.

I could repeat this as much as I wanted so I knew SOME fuel had to be making it to the carb. I thought maybe clogged idle circuit, but I just rebuilt the thing. Even had it cleaned in the sonic bath.

Opened up the fuel tank and the pickup is not clogged. (Some air pressure did escape when I opened up the tank).

I thought maybe fuel pump but no Fuel in the sight glass on the mechanical fuel pump.

Pulled the Fuel Water separator today, no water but it was only 1/2 full with fuel. the rest was air.

After a little bit of working with the boat I can keep it running out of gear with the throttle engaged and the RPM @ 2200-3000.

My Question. Should I be looking to the Fuel Pump or the Carb for the culprit of this one. Any ideas?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`d be looking at fuel delivery . fuel feed hose collapsing internally , sticking anti-syphon valve, clogged tank vent line.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Hook up a remote fuel can to the fuel filter, 'n try it,.....

That way you'll know whether it's the motor, or the boat, that's the problem,....

harleyman1975

Ensign
The escaping air is the key here I think. I'm with BT doc make sure the vent is clear, the fuel pick up in the tank is unobstructed, the anti syphon valve is not sticking or gummed up, the fuel line is not pinched or collapsed (when some rubber line gets old it has been known to break down internally) THEN look at fuel pump and carb. Try running boat with fuel cap off/loose when it dies.

THenning

Seaman
Was the Anti Siphon Valve! Thanks All! Winterized it today. One more thread coming LOL.