Removing Fuel/Water Seperator

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello -
thanks in advance - first time winterizing, first time boat owner here.

I'm trying to remove the fuel separator and I cannot get it loose.
it says its pressurized - am I missing a shut off ,or release valve here?

1997 Merc 4.3 LX gen+

from what I can see, it should just twist off.
I have one of those 3 prong wrenches, that you hook to a wrench - darn thing is putting large dents in the filter its so tight

Last edited:

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know anything about a pressurized fuel/water separator, but I had a hell of a time getting mine off last year. (the boat was new to me and who knows how long the previous owner went without changing it). I went through several different strap wrenches and oil filter wrenches before finally working it loose. Took about 2 hours. I would try different types of wrenches until you find one that works. Ultimately, I ended up with an old school metal band type oil filter wrench.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
+ + + to a metal type band wrench.

If it comes down to it may need to drive a screwdriver through the filter and crank on that. Seen filters get too damaged for a band type wrench to grab. Best guess is the gasket is glued to the seal surface by age and gasoline washing any lube off.

And welcome to iBoats!

RIck

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks guys - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something, didn't want to miss a shut off, remove the filter and have a gas line keep pumping fuel out :)

the dam filter is slippery or smooth, I don't think the metal band will work well w/ it.
I get a filter wrench along w/ my other 3 prong, maybe some wd-40

thanks! love this site

mikethepike

Seaman Apprentice
I've had the same problem. I used a rubber gripper from the kitchen (to open jars) and slid that around the filter and then used the band filter wrench to take it off. Worked great. At last resort, a large set of channel locks at the bottom or poke a screwdriver thru ...IT WILL COME OFF

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
that is a really good idea on the rubber grip, thanks guys!

boatman37

Lieutenant
also, make sure the rubber seal comes off with it. it may stick to the filter housing on the engine side and will likely leak like a sieve

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For me any time I run across a hard to take off spin-on filter, I try to place the strap wrench as close to the rolled lip as I can. It seems to be stronger there with less crushing of the filter body. The screw driver always works even if it isn't the "approved" tool.

Don't spray it with WD-40. While it isn't really oil, you don't want any lubrication on the surface you're trying to get a grip on. Mike's cap snaffler idea is a good one. I haven't tried it, but it works great on pickle jars so it's worth a shot for sure.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

Band type will pretty much grab tight enough to mangle a filter. 99% chance it will get it.

Attachments

• photo232151.png
    photo232151.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 0

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
You don't have to worry about any excess fuel coming out. There is an anti-siphon check ball at the fuel tank. There will be fuel that does come out. have a container or ziploc bag ready to go. As soon as it breaks loose, put the bag over it and do the rest by hand. This will contain the fuel and allow you to keep the bilge fuel free, always a good thing. You can also dump the contents of the fuel into the bag and check for debris and water which can indicate bigger issues that you need to address.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
The screwdriver trick doesn't always work. I've had filters that once the screwdriver is inserted and pressure applied, just rips the metal of the body. The you have nothing to grab onto at all.

+++on the o-ring check. It's a mistake you'll only make once.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
see, I'm using something like this and it just slips around because the filter casing is smooth

I have one that is probably 35 years old and looks exactly like that picture and I can bend a filter with it - probably could rip the can off the top if it was that stuck. It has enormous mechanical leverage on a very small area by the handle. If I couldn't get it with that I'd just drive a big screwdriver through the side of the filter near the top and let er rip.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Absolute worst case, remove the filter housing from the boat, install on a piece of angle iron , drain the filter, pole a hole thru it or in the top
to drain any fuel, ,
heat with a torch to burn the rubber gasket away.
And NO, you will not blow yourself up doing it that way

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Donno how it could be pressurized, as it's on the vacuum side of the fuel pump,....

'n while the filter turns righty- tighty, lefty- loosie, yer probably lookin' at it upside-down, which reverses the turnin',....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No Title

I use this,krinkles the filter but who cares.

Attachments

• photo215698.jpg
    photo215698.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0

spartenos

Seaman Apprentice
+1 to what BT said, Looking at it from above has a tendency to make one... forget what direction you are turning. I just replaced mine yesterday and I always use a rubber strap that is an adjustable size. Still have to work to get it loose, but it always comes off. Be careful not to drop it as those threads are shorter than you might think!

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
Try using a band type filter wrench and wrap some sand paper around the filter.