Swap options for 91 pre Vortec 4.3L V6

drun_trucker

Seaman
I found that I have a cracked block.

With that said, I am now on the hunt for a new motor. I have mine down to a long block and is ready to be removed from the boat.

I have found what seems to be a viable replacement except the potential replacement is 3 years newer.

My current (junk) engine is 1991 4.3L Pre Vortec Alpha 1 Gen 1, my question is can I put in a 1994 4.3L Vortec Alpha 1 Gen II.

The 1994 is a complete drop in ready unit. Will the replacement bolt directly to the bell housing of the old motor?

Thoughts, suggestions or recommendations please.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Unbolt the 91, bolt in the 94. Vortec motors came out in 96

Bondo

Staff member
My current (junk) engine is 1991 4.3L Pre Vortec Alpha 1 Gen 1, my question is can I put in a 1994 4.3L Vortec Alpha 1 Gen II.

Ayuh,.... Should be plug, 'n play,.... may need an electric furl pump,....

The "Vortec" name came out before the heads that wear that name did, by a couple years,....

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you want to be certain whether it has Vortec heads or not you can count the intake bolts. Pre Vortec heads had 6 bolts per side. Vortec heads had 4 bolts per side holding the intake on. I believe the '94 block closed off the mechanical fuel pump access hole, so you'll need to go electric.

I just went through this and purchased the mercruiser fuel pump bracket and o-rings to mount an OEM E1103 Airtex electric fuel pump. Very simple and neat install and a better choice than many automotive electric fuel pumps. Even got what I thought was a pretty good deal on the pump. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076D5NCO?psc=1

Rick

Volphin

Lieutenant
The true Vortec heads are worth trying to find and install if you don't have them.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The true Vortec heads are worth trying to find and install if you don't have them.

Indeed. Mine are marked 'S-10' on the ends from a junk yard. A set of heads and an Edelbrock Performa intake you get a pretty good boost in HP. I believe you have to change pushrods as well.

Rick