distributor weight springs???

Coryb

Seaman
Hey all, I am in the process of converting to an electronic ignition system and upon removing the breaker plate I noticed the smaller of the weight springs is broken. I have been searching for awhile with no luck finding the spring or set of springs. I am pretty sure it's a delco distributor but I can't find a part number on it. Its on a 90 3.0 mercruiser. Any info or direction on where to find them would be great.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW I do remember the distributor days and the advance springs and weights. I also remember buying a faster advance setup that used heavier weights and lighter springs in color coded ranges. Have you tried the usual auto part stores to see if they still carry such? That would be my best guess...maybe even Summit automotive speed shops... :noidea:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
8189_500.gif
# 810830

Coryb

Seaman
Im not sure what to do outside of buying another distributor. Every online site I found says the springs are no longer available.

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I did a search at summitracing.com for Distributor springs and found 4 pages of spring kits I am sure one of them has something that will work.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You would need springs and weights for a marine distributor's advance curve.

Coryb

Seaman
I did a search at summitracing.com for Distributor springs and found 4 pages of spring kits I am sure one of them has something that will work.

Yea I found those but I'm not sure which set might work as none are listed for 4 cylinder marine application. I don't know much about ignition systems and how exact it would have to be so I would hate to guess. From what I've read and what bruceb stated they would have to be identical to have the same advance curve. would any 4 cyl. marine distributor work on my mercuiser?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The one I posted is what all new engines come with from Mercruiser and Volvo. I would not bother with an used points distributor if you are thinking that route. Plus it comes with a brand new coil, cap, rotor and spark plug wires. Just can't beat the price.

Coryb

Seaman
The one I posted is what all new engines come with from Mercruiser and Volvo. I would not bother with an used points distributor if you are thinking that route. Plus it comes with a brand new coil, cap, rotor and spark plug wires. Just can't beat the price.

The price point is pretty good, but I just bought a new coil and conversion kit. Maybe I could return them though and buy a new distributor