Anti Siphon Valve Info

DaboatnutinWA

Seaman Apprentice
So does this thing have a ball check valve?? Last time I replaced the fuel/water separator, I was unscrewing it, I heard it break suction and heard a click in the tank. Which probably explain why it died on me in the middle of the river channel soon after I got up on plane and was cruising at 3600rpm.. Got back to the dock eventually and it would start up and idle just fine.....but i was afraid to leave the dock. Last season i remember having issues with a half tank of fuel. Replaced F/W seperater 3 times last year....tried Sea Foam (big mistake) so I topped it off with ethanol free gas at the end of the season last year. Ran great til it got down to 1/2 a tank. I think i see a pattern here.....
My next move is to drain the tank, clean it and fix/repair anti siphon valve and pick up screen. Suggestions? Pics?

alldodge

Staff member
So does this thing have a ball check valve??

Yep'er it sure does. It has a spring loaded ball in it. That said, since you heard a suction and a click, wonder if your pickup tube in the tank is the issue. Still could very well be the valve

http://www.iboats.com/Moeller-Alumin...view_id.392106

2560414c_2.gif

Last edited:

DaboatnutinWA

Seaman Apprentice
OK....makes more sense now that i have an idea of what im looking for. Thanks AD. Going to remove both valve and pickup tube and replace/clean as required in addition to cleaning out the tank to make sure there is no foreign matter.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Sounds like the pickup tube has a hole in it or broke half way down. And why was sea foam a mistake?

flyman219

Seaman
"Last time I replaced the fuel/water separator, I was unscrewing it, I heard it break suction "

You might also want to check your vent tube in your fuel tank. Does it gasp for air when you open the gas cap?

Mike

DaboatnutinWA

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like the pickup tube has a hole in it or broke half way down. And why was sea foam a mistake?

I felt that it was a mistake because it ran worse after I added Sea Foam to the tank.
Drained the tank over the weekend and didn't find a smoking gun per se but the fuel line going to the fuel pump looked suspect due to it had a small crack where it could have been sucking air instead of gas. Pickup tube looks fine, screen is clean. I will take a closer look at it
My plan is to replace all the rubber fuel lines (with marine grade) since they were stamped with "1988" (the boat is an 88). Going to replace the anti siphon valve even though it looked and worked fine. Check ball move freely. I'm sure its original too. Since Im this far into it....thinking maybe fuel pump is weak. Will have to do a pressure test on it.