Confirming leak in transom Alpha one

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a new to me boat 1987 Carver Montego 2557 double cabin. The boat runs well but I purchased it out of the water. When I put it in, it was leaking from the transom on the starbord side. Not a lot, but enough for me to pull it after a week of worrying about it sinking if the bilge failed..

Anyway, I pulled the drive on the transom where I saw the leak and found some water in the u joint bellow ( 2 days after it was out of the water)

I also noticed that the o ring on the passage for the water pump wasn't there...or was missing when the drive was pulled away. I do not know if it fell off when I pulled it or the previous owner left it on the shift lever where I later found it (it was looped around the shift shaft like someone put it there so they wouldn?t loose it before installing the drive and forgot to install it. I cant see how it would have fell off and landed perfectly around the shift foot but hell it's possible)

Anyhow, my concern is I need to be positive where this leak originated so I don't have the same issue next year. My plan is to change all the bellows even though I cannot see a hole in any of them...they look almost perfect but was actually wondering if it's possible that the exaust manifold is leaking.

I sent an inspection borescope into the pipe just past the exaust bellow and can see some small black dots that almost look like pinholes. Is it possible for that pipe to get small holes like that in it? I would think a 1/4" aluminum pipe would fail in large holes especially with hot exhaust and pressure created by the motor.

My gas sensor gives me a green light when the motor is running and the compartment is closed so I do not think it's leaking exhaust. My next route of action is to pour some water into the pipe and see if it leaks into the bilge.

Anybody have any other ideas to confirm where this leak is? I feel if it was the exhaust how would the water get into the u joint bellows?

I can see completely how it would get into the u joint bellow with the o ring missing but I need to be positive before I launch next year..it cost's $450 a pop to move this beast. I need to be positive that I find the leak and fix it.

The leak ran down the center of the back of the transom like a slow waterfall about 2" wide my estimate of volume was around 3-4 gallons/hour

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
You can tilt the boat as high as you can on the trailer and start filling the bilge with water. See if and where is comes out. Otherwise you can do the opposite and back the boat into the water at the ramp and have a look and see if and where any water is coming in.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No way that any water went from exhaust to ujoint bellows.

Replace your bellows, oring and gasket. Reassemble and test. Run a hose all over the gimbal housing and see if you get any water.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
You can tilt the boat as high as you can on the trailer and start filling the bilge with water. See if and where is comes out. Otherwise you can do the opposite and back the boat into the water at the ramp and have a look and see if and where any water is coming in.

it's 27 ft and 6200lbs dry...no chance in doing that.

Bondo

Staff member
The leak ran down the center of the back of the transom like a slow waterfall about 2" wide my estimate of volume was around 3-4 gallons/hour

Ayuh,..... Unfortunately, ya shoulda found the leak, before ya pulled the boat,....

Now all ya can do is Guess,... A gusher like that oughta been reasonably easy to find, with a camera,....

Bein' an '87,....probably the most likely thing at this point is a rotten transom,....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
And never fill the bilge with water to find a leak. Think about it.In order to get enough in there, you will drown the starter.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I couldn't see exactly where it was coming in. I do have a video. If I can edit it I'll post it

Transom is solid as rock. No soft spots. The boat doesn't even have any thru holes drilled in it. You can grab the drives and shake them and feel they are solid....I highly doubt that it's the transom

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think filling the boat with water would be a good idea unless it was a outboard. ...filling an i/o with water is just silly

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
I don't think filling the boat with water would be a good idea unless it was a outboard. ...filling an i/o with water is just silly

I guess I should have been more specific for you - when I recommended "filling" the bilge I assumed you (or anyone else for that matter) would know not to fill it so full as to start covering the engine or the various engine components. You are absolutely right - that would be silly. :rolleyes:

ziggy

Admiral
imho, from what's been said. i'd think the bellows. could be the seal at either end of the bellows too. or i've read (and seen pics of) about the gimble housing corroding away where the bellows mount to on the boat side. you'll have to remove the bellows to inspect that though.

also, since ya had water in the bellows. the ft. seal of the drive is now suspect. it's designed to keep gear lub in the drive, but not water out of the drive, since there isn't supposed to be any water in the bellows to start with. drain the gear lub and pressure test it. water causes the ujoint drive shaft seal area to rust, that in turn eats up the seal and lets the water that shouldn't be there into the drive. when ya drain the lub, if it's not been changed recently, if ya have water intrusion into the drive, the gear lub will show that. water mixed w/lub.

you can remove the exhaust bellows and run w/o. no ramification other than the exhaust gas and cooling water will exit w/o going the the prop. it'll exit right out of the gimble housing. the exhaust is under water when the drive is down with or w/o the exhaust bellows.

i believe the shift cable can leak water into the boat, check that bellows

if ya go to the trouble of removing all that stuff. might as well put new back, drive shaft bellows, shift cable and bellows, maybe even the water hose between the drive and the gimble housing.

good luck.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Take a look at the 3 photos I took. This is what I saw when I took the drive off. Water came out of the bellows and ran down my driveway and what you see is what was left in there.

The o ring for the water pump hose was not in the groove where it's suppose to be. I initially couldn't find it but when I got the drive into my garage I saw it looped around the shift foot just like the photo. I was not paying attention when I pulled it off to see if it wasn't there or if it did indeed fall off and land directly around the shift foot.

What are the odds of that o ring falling off and looping around the shift foot as I am pulling the drive off the boat?

Gotta be about as high as winning powerball right?

What I THINK happened was the guy left the o ring there so he wouldn't loose it and just plain forgot to install it when he put the drive on.

I don't know...I guess my only recourse is to change everything,bellows,ect and get the hose out.

Anybody have a clue from the photos as if it was on or off?

Attachments

• photo231637.jpg
    photo231637.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231638.jpg
    photo231638.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231639.jpg
    photo231639.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 0

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I put a lightbulb (LED) in the u joint bellow and covered the back with a rag and flexed the boot all around and could not see any light shine out. I also felt the crevices very carefully and could not feel any rips or holes... the guy claims to have done the boots 3 years ago. I found the receipt and saw that they are aftermarket boots ( sierra) so that leaves me wanting to change them to OEM at the very least.

thumpar

Admiral
It sounds like one of the bellows is bad or installed wrong. I would redo it all correctly.