Trim UP switch doesn't work

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I've got a '98 Rinker with the Quicksilver 3000 shifter. I just installed a new trim motor as the old one was bad. Upon installation I noticed that the trim DOWN button works fine, and the TRAILER button below works fine, however the trim UP does nothing. I thought it was the switch, but before pulling apart the shifter I plugged the new one in and still the same thing. Went through the wiring on it and it looks like something's back feeding a ground through the purple wire in the switch harness where it should just be a power on when you hit the UP switch.

I'm thinking it's down to the trim senders as one on each side has frayed wires and when I''m using my test light and it's hooked to the positive terminal on the battery, I've got a bright light (solid ground) on one (lower wire) and a real faint light on the upper wire.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah, it's your trim limit switch. You can either replace the switch, jumper the wires to bypass it, or just use the trailer button.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK, go to the stern and locate two black wires coming through the transom. One goes to a connector with a purple/white wire, the other to two blue/white wires. Unplug the black wires and with a piece of wire, jumper between the two connectors. Try up trim. If it works, as mike says it is your trim limit switch circuit.