Trim Sender and Trim Limit replacement

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, replacing my trim sender and trim limit switch on my Merc Alpha 1, the alpha 1 uses a retaining clamp for the wires with two bolts, one bolt is easy but the other is a bear. does anyone know if i the new modified clamp with a single bolt is interchangeable with the older two bolt clamp? not afraid of work but easier is always better.

Alumarine

Captain
I've read on here somewhere that someone has used the new style single bolt clamp.
Can't find it now though.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello, replacing my trim sender and trim limit switch on my Merc Alpha 1, the alpha 1 uses a retaining clamp for the wires with two bolts, one bolt is easy but the other is a bear. does anyone know if i the new modified clamp with a single bolt is interchangeable with the older two bolt clamp? not afraid of work but easier is always better.

Having the two bolt clamp I'm not sure if you can use the one bolt. To remove the upper bolt achris bent a wrench to do it.
attachment.php

Another once the bolt was out he reinstalled the upper bolt with a hex socket bolt so it could be installed with a Allen head ball driver.

The retainer used on the Gen 2 is item 11 (54-12078)
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...&bnbr=80&bdesc=GIMBAL+RING+AND+STEERING+LEVER

ImperialV184

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Great, idea about the hex bolt, i am going to do that for sure, finding a stainless one will be fun at lower or home depot, that is hit or miss. sup prized you could remove that with a closed wrench, i thought it had to be an open end wrench. i practiced this before i reinstalled the gimbal ring, but the hex head is a great idea. thank you, that should be a lot easier.