Lifting a 470?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Came across an old 470 with outdrive for $300. Since I didn't need either, I went ahead and bought it ;)
Outdrive looks a bit rough, no idea the gear ratio. Popped the top and fluid was low, with some surface rust on the gears.
Engine starts and runs, which is good enough for the money. First problem: damn thing is sitting in the back of my truck, and I need to get it out. I bought a truck crane from HF that I'm going to install, but just realized I don't know where/how to pick up the engine. A bit embarrassing. Needless to say, the wife is thrilled.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you bought it for spare parts for your glastron, didnt you?

I would get a piece of chain and bolt to the front of the head and back of the block at the bell housing.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The engine should have lifting eyes fore and aft on the head.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there are doctors with a nice comfy couch that want to talk to you

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, I believed you when you told me it was a lifting eye ;)
Although I only see 1 eye listed in that diagram. I'm not near the boat ATM (busy building an ark here), I know there's one eye at the foremost exhaust mani bolt. Trying to picture where that aft eye is.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I am pretty sure there is one on both ends, would be kinda crazy to only put one on LOL. If for some reason one or both are missing, the holes should be there and you can just put a bolt through a chain link.

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Also, easy to check the ratio. Put the drive in gear, mark the prop and the flywheel on the engine. Have a buddy watch the prop while you manually rotate the engine one revolution. You should be able to calculate your ratio based on how much the prop turns.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Even easier way is to look at the upper port side of the driveshaft housing. Should be stamped there.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Heh, any stampings or markings are long scraped off and bottom painted. Anyway, the drive is secondary. I'll probably clean it up, make sure it turns, and sell it in the spring.