'97 Mercruiser 4.3LX wrong dipstick?

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all, not new to boats but definitely new to I/O sterndrives etc.
I have a '97 Regal Destiny 200 with a 4.3LX.
The motor has the oil drain tube and the dipstick tube running along the side of the motor as usual. And the whole tube is really long since its mounted on the front port side. But my first question is, how long should the dipstick be on this motor? The one I have is only maybe 18" max and I don't see any way possible it could come near touching the pan. It also has a round ball on the end, not the typical finger ring that I've seen on the 4.3.
Is it possible this is the wrong dipstick? Maybe out of a 3.0L or something?

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all, not new to boats but definitely new to I/O sterndrives etc.
I have a '97 Regal Destiny 200 with a 4.3LX.
The motor has the oil drain tube and the dipstick tube running along the side of the motor as usual. And the whole tube is really long since its mounted on the front port side. But my first question is, how long should the dipstick be on this motor? The one I have is only maybe 18" max and I don't see any way possible it could come near touching the pan. It also has a round ball on the end, not the typical finger ring that I've seen on the 4.3.
Is it possible this is the wrong dipstick? Maybe out of a 3.0L or something?

Could be the dip stick was lost and the wrong one was bought. The engine came with two different sticks. One long which came from the front of the engine 861942T6 (item 14) and a short one which went straight down the side 860209A03 (item 12).
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=1937&bnbr=190&bdesc=OIL+PAN+AND+OIL+PUMP

Either way if its not long enough, its not long enough

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Could be the dip stick was lost and the wrong one was bought. The engine came with two different sticks. One long which came from the front of the engine 861942T6 (item 14) and a short one which went straight down the side 860209A03 (item 12).
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=1937&bnbr=190&bdesc=OIL+PAN+AND+OIL+PUMP

Either way if its not long enough, its not long enough

Thanks!
Due to the length, I could definitely see this possibly being the one that goes straight down the side. That would make perfect sense. However, it does still show a little oil level on the stick. But never to the "full" mark. Even after I JUST changed oil and added 4.5 qts.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the stick at least reach the pan?

alldodge

Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the stick at least reach the pan?

For the most part yes but not all the way in it. Manual 18 shows 4.5 Quarts including filter, but also states to check with dip stick. It also list the length as ick pointed out as 25 7/16 to the full mark from top of umbrella and 26 7/8 to bottom of stick. That said it also does show the stick which came out later which was longer (at least not in my manual)

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
For the most part yes but not all the way in it. Manual 18 shows 4.5 Quarts including filter, but also states to check with dip stick. It also list the length as ick pointed out as 25 7/16 to the full mark from top of umbrella and 26 7/8 to bottom of stick. That said it also does show the stick which came out later which was longer (at least not in my manual)

Thank you so much! After reading most of this I believe I may have the wrong stick. I just got this boat a few weeks ago and I'm going through finding a few things I wish I'd had seen before.
Also... I may be 1/2 qt overfilled, since it wasn't registering on the stick at first I put the other 1/2 in. (5 qts total) Should I drain and refil? The oil has MAYBE 1 hour on it. And that's a big maybe

I feel like such a noob

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

Here's a screenshot.

That link is page 52 in the boatinfo library Mercruiser #18 manual, which is the OEM service manual for your engine. That is the manual that you need, you do not want to use anything else working on your Merc. You can navigate your way to it from this link

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Attachments

• photo230948.png
    photo230948.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 11

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's a screenshot.

That link is page 52 in the boatinfo library Mercruiser #18 manual, which is the OEM service manual for your engine. That is the manual that you need, you do not want to use anything else working on your Merc. You can navigate your way to it from this link

http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help! You guys really are life savers!
So much knowledge on this forum.

Rick, what are your thoughts on the extra 1/2 qt. that's in there (5qts total). Enough to do damage so I should drain & refil, or is this minor and probably still in the safe zone

Rick Stephens

Admiral
My 4.3LX shows on the stick right at 5 qts with filter. Unfortunately, this gets into the zone of the subjective. Engine is designed for a specific level based on baffles and crank model/design. If you go too high it splashes and foams. 2 cups difference is less than 1/2 inch height change. Subjectively I would say it matters not. Next guy will say it can be bad. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

RIck

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just went out and measured from the top of the bonnet to the tip of the stick and its approx. 21 5/8" long.
So, probably safe to say it's the wrong dipstick at this point

Fun Times

Staff member

Rick Stephens

Admiral
No Title

The dipstick in the earlier non-Vortec and non-balance shaft motors was only an inch shorter at 26 inch overall. If yours is 21 and 5/8th then it is probably not the correct one.

Attachments

• photo230953.png
    photo230953.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 2

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, fellas. A little of an update.
I received my new dipstick in the mail today, and it is definitely long enough to go to the bottom of the tube, and likely into the edge of the pan.
The problem is though, that with this new stick, it goes so far in the tube that when oil registers on the stick it is really far over the safe/full line and looks way overfilled. With the other stick, it barely registered on the stick (but always showed something. At least a 1/4" or so) but never full.
What I DO know is that there is no way the oil is that overfilled, if it's even overfilled at all. At the very most, possible. The engine has only 5qts in it, and to be as far overfilled as it shows, it would have to be several qts past full I would imagine.
So, it seems the stick I had was too short. The merc part number I ordered 861942T6 is too long... So it seems I need something in the middle for it to read "perfect"
What are everyone's thoughts and advice here?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Personally I would clip off the new stick and mark it for full at 5 qts. Next time you do an oil change, put 4 qts in, start it to prime, and then shutdown and mark the low mark.

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe the tube was not designed for the motor. might need one of those also

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Personally I would clip off the new stick and mark it for full at 5 qts. Next time you do an oil change, put 4 qts in, start it to prime, and then shutdown and mark the low mark.

Thanks Rick.
Would there be any disadvantage since the oil is only an hour old max, to drawing a qt. out via a pump to find the low level, so I know how much to trim and will have a functional dipstick before my next oil change.
And then add the oil back in since it's technically still brand new

Bondo

Staff member
Would there be any disadvantage since the oil is only an hour old max, to drawing a qt. out via a pump to find the low level,

Ayuh,.... Does the new dipstick bottom out into the pan,..??

If not, don't cut it,....

Insteada pumpin' out a quart, pump it dry,....
Pour back in 3 quarts, 'n prick punch the new low level,...
Add the last quart, 'n ya got the new full level, prick punch it,...

Spec is 4 quarts in the base, 'n a half in the filter,... more like a pint, but anyways,...
You've run it, the filter is full, there should be a fat 4 quarts in the base,.....

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,.... Does the new dipstick bottom out into the pan,..??

If not, don't cut it,....

Honestly, not sure if it bottoms out. I honestly don't think so though, or really see how it could. The tube it goes in seems pretty long and the stick doesn't seem quite as long from what I can tell.
Is there a definitive way to know?