Electric choke conversion

75 merc 120 with Rochester 2gc carb, changing the old auto choke to electric choke, everything I've read about it says you can hook the wire to the alternator but when I tested it, it had power with the key off, don't want to hook it up there, is there another place I can run the wire to that's not hot with the key off?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Not going to be easy. You're going to need to cut into the harness, near where the 10 pin Canon plug is. Looking for the white wire. Parallel off that one...

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The thing I don't like about electric cokes is that they start removing the choke before the engine is running. So I modified my 1976 233 choke to only work when the oil pressure was present. I also wired in the hour meter to work off oil pressure too. See attachment.

JK

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
How the "H" do I delete a photo??

I'll delete the post and pix after copying and pasting the text into the post I'm quoting above.

Then just quote yourself and post the photo

achris

The thing I don't like about electric cokes is that they start removing the choke before the engine is running. So I modified my 1976 233 choke to only work when the oil pressure was present. I also wired in the hour meter to work off oil pressure too. See attachment.

JK

Not a bad idea actually....

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, achris. I thought so. I simply used an automotive generic relay used for fog lights or a horn that has Normally Closed (NC) contacts. Wire the relay to be energized by the low oil pressure switch. When you turn on the ignition the relay is energized and opens the choke and hour meter circuit. Once the oil pressure switch opens the relay closes and energizes the choke and hour meter.

To moderator: When I post the 225+ kb .jpg schematic to the forum it shows up as less than 1 kb. Which is, of course, unreadable. Any idea why? Tried using Dropbox link, same result.

JK

achris

To moderator: When I post the 225+ kb .jpg schematic to the forum it shows up as less than 1 kb. Which is, of course, unreadable. Any idea why? Tried using Dropbox link, same result.

JK

Use JPGs of 800x600 max... (that usually around the 100K mark)...