boat not starting

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I need help on what to look for. I replaced my ignition swith and bought a new battery and the boat has about quarter tank of good fuel. I also have a clear inline fuel filter in the gas line thats new. Now she wont start. Sounds like its not getting fuel. I used starting fluid and she fires and then dies. I pump the hell out of the throttle and theres very little fuel in the clear filter.
I dont know what to look for now. Is their a wire that runs the fuel pump on the iginition? I dont know how it works.
Is the fuel pump on the gas tank under the deck?

thumpar

Admiral
Get rid of the clear filter. They are not marine rated. Have you checked the voltage at the coil with the ignition in run position? It sounds like the the coil might be getting voltage from the starter while cranking but loosing it through the resistance wire when you let off. You could try a jumper from the battery + to the + on the coil as a test.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Get rid of the clear filter. They are not marine rated. Have you checked the voltage at the coil with the ignition in run position? It sounds like the the coil might be getting voltage from the starter while cranking but loosing it through the resistance wire when you let off. You could try a jumper from the battery + to the + on the coil as a test.
Thanks. So I just run a wire like u said and crank it?

Bondo

Staff member
Sounds like its not getting fuel. I used starting fluid and she fires and then dies. I pump the hell out of the throttle and theres very little fuel in the clear filter.
I dont know what to look for now. Is their a wire that runs the fuel pump on the iginition? I dont know how it works.
Is the fuel pump on the gas tank under the deck?

Ayuh,..... An '88 oughta be a mechanical fuel pump, forward starboard corner of the motor,....

Newer 4.3s it's electric in the same spot,....

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks guys. I pulled the fuel pump. There is gas going to the pump but their is no gas in the lines coming out going to the carb.
Bad fuel pump?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys. I pulled the fuel pump. There is gas going to the pump but their is no gas in the lines coming out going to the carb.
Bad fuel pump?

Pump the leveler on the pump and see if your getting suction, if not you probably need a pump

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Stick the pump flange in a vise and lean on the lever, or work less and stick a little length of pipe on it. Just not so hard you break the flange.

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I got it now. The filter looks good and yes their is suction on the hose bib that runs the plastic hose to the carb.

alldodge

Staff member
I got it now. The filter looks good and yes their is suction on the hose bib that runs the plastic hose to the carb.

If your getting suction on the plastic clear hose you might have a diaphragm rupture. Need to see if your getting suction on the fitting coming from the fuel tank
1pump.jpg

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If your getting suction on the plastic clear hose you might have a diaphragm rupture. Need to see if your getting suction on the fitting coming from the fuel tank
Thanks again. I ordere a new pump and filter. I hope it works.