anyone else rebuilding / cleaning carbs yearly from ethanol garbage

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just a show of hands out there... this is my first year I am able to use a boat from year to year...it sure is nice not to have a cracked block for a change. Mine is a 165 1987 with a mercarb on it... engine runs well.... However, aside from the usual crap in the fuel line and bad gas...is it that common to totally clean out (and possibly rebuild) a carb almost year to year from the effects of ethanol garbage? Frustrating me because I am having to go back and totally clean out my idle, accelerator, and power valve circuits from the chalk I get from the fuel. I was hoping to have a year off from carburetor cleaning :( I will have to plan accordingly next year. Anyway... it this my fate every year to have to clean out this thing?

We got out quite late this year because we had a baby :) just that cruising at 1500 rpm max is ...well it's OK ...but we all know our rig goes much faster :) (1987 Marathon Falcon)

cheers...

john

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I go at least a decade or so between carb rebuilds, only been using that ethanol crap for about 25 years though.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I sure would think that a spin on filter/water separator would slow that garage flow into the carb. I only use non E in my boat motors and all my small engines. I had to do some carb rebuilding on my OB and never used ethanol laced fuel after that, been about 7 years now.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know what to think. I opened it up a few weeks back and both jets were chalked up. We live in NH and have not much choice in fuels... but I might have to start going with more additive to clean some of this stuff out. I still get a good flow of gas from the pump and the inline screen filter at the carb isn't bad... but sheesh the gas is really giving me issues. :(

jbcurt00

Staff member
Have you changed stations where you buy gas?

Pure-gas.org will give you a list of ethanol free gas stations

thumpar

Admiral
I use ethanol gas in my boats. There was one time on my last boat that I rebuilt the carb after about 6 years just for fun. Ran the same before and after. My current boat is EFI and it runs fine on ethanol too. It starts right up after the 8 month winter layup.

I've been adding fuel stabilizer to my boat's fuel for a few years now as well as the gas that goes in my shed equipment. My truck and car go thru it quick enough to be ok, but anything with gas sitting in it gets stabiliizer. I haven't had any issues since adding it..

There are some good research videos on different brands...

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I don't know what to think. I opened it up a few weeks back and both jets were chalked up. We live in NH and have not much choice in fuels... but I might have to start going with more additive to clean some of this stuff out. I still get a good flow of gas from the pump and the inline screen filter at the carb isn't bad... but sheesh the gas is really giving me issues. :(

Highly doubt that ethanol is the culprit. Do you have a spin on fuel/water separator installed? Are you using the 10 micron filters? My guess is you're getting junk from the tank.

My .02

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use ethanol, no problem. But at end of season I'll run non ethanol and sea foam. My small equipment never has an issue with ethanol though.

Alumarine

Captain
I've been using fuel with ethanol for at least 15 years without any trouble.
The only time I had chalky stuff plugging my carb filter was when my metal gas tank was rusting out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Ethanol is not the issue. I don't use any additives and we only have gas with ethanol in it here. Runs fine in both my boats, cars and all my small engine equipment that I own.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hmm thanks for the input everyone. As soon as I get home I will report my findings. Good news is that the tank is pretty clean no rust.

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
well I finally got down to the problem. Check ball in the main metering circuit fused in place with rusted gunk. I had all to do to get it cleaned up. It moves freely now...was nice to see what it was for a change. I hate guesswork. New filter... cleaned carb ...I should be back in business next week.

NHGuy

Captain
Glad for you. Boating is supposed to be fun. Although I do kinda like doing the mechanical stuff.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Ethanol is not the issue. I don't use any additives and we only have gas with ethanol in it here. Runs fine in both my boats, cars and all my small engine equipment that I own.
Agreed.

Been using up to 10% Ethanol gas since it's inception from whatever the cheapest station happens to be............. No added snake oils...........

I just run the tank to less than 1/4 in AUG and fill it up next June and go boating........ change the filter once a year if I remember.

If you have fuel contamination problems, IT'S DUE TO CONTAMINATION.

You should probably investigate where your contamination is coming from. (or find a "Which" Doctor!)

Regards,

Rick

EDIT:
anyone else rebuilding / cleaning carbs yearly from ethanol garbage
I guess I should also directly address the original question. NO. I don't. The last engine I had in my boat had a problem after nearly 18 years of trouble free running on California oxygenated gasoline (MTBE, Ethanol, Reformulated E10 etc)

When I pulled the carburetor apart, after that 18 years, the only thing wrong with it was the gaskets I destroyed getting it apart!

It was absolutely "pristine clean" inside......

So no, I really don't think "ethanol garbage" causes anything..........

Last edited: