1974 120/140 drive with pinned hinge pins

tkat1000

Cadet
1974 StarCraft with mercruiser 120/140 stern drive. there are stainless pins inserted through the gimbal ring, staking the hinge pins in place. they only protrude 1/32" . how do I remove these pins??? do I just drive them through? do I need to replace as onetime use? my lousy Clymer manual doesn't give any clues.gave them a little kiss with a punch and seamed to seat flush with the ring easily but firmed right up. so I stopped there and put the hammer down, as it's just to hot out and a long day at work required a frosty beverage. now where did I put that DANG slide hammer kit. better get a refill. :)

fishrdan

Admiral
I just take a flat end punch (the same width as the slot) and tap the end of the pins to straighten them, or straight enough to pull them out. Tap the end of the pin upward or downward, to straighten it. Once out, roll the pins on an anvil (with the pin head off the edge of the anvil) while tapping the high spots to straighten the pins back out. DON'T bugger up the pins up as they are no longer available.

tkat1000

Cadet
thanks guys. after digging through the third tool box, found the slide hammer and a small enough inspection mirror to see the back side. sure enough the pins are through pins and bent over on the back side. they lay in a grove that was plugged with hard old gease. fella said I could replace them with stainless cotter pins if need be.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I just did my gimbal bearing & bellows & I found a pack of 5 on eBay for $6.00 the only problem was they were too big. Looked just like the pins I took out but about half again as big. Let me measure them & I'll post back to here or send you a pm & if they happen to be the correct size for yours I'll mail you a couple if you need them. Jim.

Just checked them, they are 0.1165" in diameter & 2.5" in length. If you need them let me know & I'll drop a couple in the mail.

The part # is 17-77039 on the ones I've got.

Last edited:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
You're very welcome tkat. I'm not gonna use them for anything unless this shelf in my shop gets any looser, then I might use them to nail it back up.