1994 3.0 LX Shift Cut out switch, is it really working....???

boater364

Cadet
I’m very confused about the way the shift interrupter switch works.

Engine#OF356496

I always had issues with getting the boat out of gear on the lake, I could get it out gear by shaking around the throttle, or putting it into reverse then putting it into N. If I was in forward gear… and brought the throttle back to N swiftly not gingerly, it would still stay in gear at low idle 90% of the time.
I can’t recreate the issue on land via muffs. I read in the forum somewhere that the boat has to be in the water for the switch to work … is this true?

I follow chrisa660 video and readjusted my sift cables and still had the same issue. I made sure the switch is working by pressing it in and watching it stall.

Basically there is no noticeable movement when I shift from forward or reverse or back to N. The roller does NOT go to the ends of V. If I work it by hand, the motor will only cut if I have the roller at the top of the V. I tried to catch it on video ...

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/bo...p.mp4.html?o=0
http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/bo...j.mp4.html?o=0

I also can’t find anything in the service manual about the switch, other than the lube points of the cable assembly.

Bondo

Staff member
I can?t recreate the issue on land via muffs. I read in the forum somewhere that the boat has to be in the water for the switch to work ? is this true?

Ayuh,.... The switch only works comin' outa gear, In the water,....

boater364

Cadet
So how should I troubleshoot this, should i recreate it on the water then when in gear but in N have the first mate activate the switch to see if it pops out of gear?

Because it only happens on the water , I thinking it has to have something to do with switch.. What's your feeling?

thumpar

Admiral
Sounds more like a lower shift cable out of adjustment or needing to be replaced. The switches rarely go bad but the cable is a normal maintenance item.

boater364

Cadet
It's a new cable...replaced it while doing bellows. From eye to barrel its exactly 6 inch in gear. Is there any other adjustment?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Did you check the switch adjustment? The manual has a very specific travel distance to switch engagement.