Broken lifter

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just had both heads done by my marina, about an hour into useage a lifter fell apart. What would cause this? Engine in a merc 5.7 thunderbolt v

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
lifter fell apart, or the rocker arm came loose? please post a pic. I have never encountered a lifter coming apart even in a grenaded motor. I have had rocker arms come loose because the rocker studs pulled out.

Onexl85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't have pics. Definatly the lifter under the intake manifold. Rockers and pushrods were fine

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
unless someone took it apart to clean it, they just never come apart.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Actually it's not that uncommon.....

Do a google search for "lifter came apart" and be prepared to read for quite a while.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
I had a lifter come apart on my 327 chevy once. The retaining ring on the hydraulic lifter broke. Never did know why...cheap lifter? Anyway, I wonder if the rocker arm on your engine was set loose causing lash and hammered the clip. Could be a bad stud or a new stud was put it when the heads where done and rocker was not set correctly. I take it that this is not a roller cam/lifter

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what do you know, learned something every day. consensus in the reading was slack in the valve train (improperly lashed lifters, head studs pulling out, or extremely high RPM and lifter bounce)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I take it that the lifter was hydraulic and not solid...:facepalm: