5.0 Mercruiser / Alpha one outdrive not gettting into gear / shift issues.

rufio46

Recruit
Just ran into a problem, new to boating, this is my first boat. Towing during wake boarding and put into gear, tried to take off but the forward gear felt like it was barely engaged and would rev up the engine but not take off. Made several attempts to get in gear and take off again but same issue. went back into shore, tried to check it out again and now it just wont shift into gear. From neutral putting the gear forward, you hear the click, click click like its about to get in gear but you don't feel that thud, when it does. Niether forward or reverse will get in gear. Got the boat out of the water and now am trying to figure out what I need to do to get this fixed.

I have trouble shot all the shift linkage from the handle to the shift plate on the engine, all that is intact and doing its job. I believe is something to do with the linkage to the out drive. has anyone has/had or know what im going to have to do to fix it ?

alldodge

Staff member
Just ran into a problem, new to boating, this is my first boat. Towing during wake boarding and put into gear, tried to take off but the forward gear felt like it was barely engaged and would rev up the engine but not take off. Made several attempts to get in gear and take off again but same issue. went back into shore, tried to check it out again and now it just wont shift into gear. From neutral putting the gear forward, you hear the click, click click like its about to get in gear but you don't feel that thud, when it does. Niether forward or reverse will get in gear. Got the boat out of the water and now am trying to figure out what I need to do to get this fixed.

I have trouble shot all the shift linkage from the handle to the shift plate on the engine, all that is intact and doing its job. I believe is something to do with the linkage to the out drive. has anyone has/had or know what im going to have to do to fix it ?

Howdy

This issue happens quite often over time, the lower shift cable just wears out and needs replacing. In my signature there is a link to the adults only section. In there go to the Mercruiser section and then find the lower shift cable adjustment videos by achris. Follow the steps exactly, and if after adjustment it still will not work, your going to need to replace the lower shift cable.