1988 5.7 no power

IXLR8

Cadet
Hi everyone first post. I have been buying stuff from iBoats for a while and lurking on the forum and with all your help this is the first time I couldn't find a solution with just searching the forums.

Here is the problem. I have a 1988 Baja Force 200 (I know I never heard of one either but that is what the data plate says) When I got it I changed the oil, gas/oil separator, flushed the stern drive and generally checked it out. It has a 5.7 with an Alpha One. I had to charge the battery but I figured that was just from sitting. It started right up on the muffs and sounded pretty good. I took it out on the water and it was sputtering and skipping trying to get up on plane. I looked at the amp meter and it was down to 10 volts. I tried to limp it back to the dock but ended up paddling. Luckily it was in a river and was with the current.

I checked the alternator and wiring and couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring so I ordered a new alternator. Installed it charged the battery and started it on the muffs. It was charging now (13.9 volts running) and sounded ok on the muffs. Took it out again and same issue. No power and skipping and sputtering. Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and checked the timing. Still the same no power and sputtering/skipping so I decided must be fuel.

I checked the fuel filter in the carburetor and changed it but it looked ok. I checked the fuel pump output and it seemed ok but was pulsing with the engine and was really corroded. I took it off to look it over and it seemed ok but was pretty corroded. I ordered another one and tried to put it on but after about 41/2 hours of swearing and beating up my knuckles I ordered a Holley red (electric) with relay kit and oil pressure switch, a rebuilt quadrajet from National Carburetors and two 18-114 Sierra braided fuel lines (figured in and out of the fuel pump) . I swapped the carb, plumbed and wired the fuel pump, checked the fuel pump output probably a quart in about 3 seconds after it primed. I checked the vent on the fuel tank, checked the anti-siphon valve in the tank. Changed the fuel/water separator again. and checked all the clamps and hoses from the tank to the separator.

Put the boat on the muffs and wow it seemed to start faster, run smoother and even tried a quick rev to see if that was better. I was excited to put it in the water and see how it went. I put everything back together and headed for the water. I let it warm up on the trailer. Unloaded and idled out to deeper water. It really ran better now no sputtering no skipping. I gave it some throttle and it picked up pretty good but not what I expected. It finally got up on plane but just barely. I couldn't get it to get over 2800-3000 rpm and once I let off it would just barely get up to plane. It's almost like it is only on the primaries but when I had it apart and could see everything it appeared to be opening the secondaries just fine. It runs smooth now, idles and has good oil pressure but just no power. It only has around 500 hours on the motor.

I tried to do a compression/leakdown test but it is impossible to get the gauge hooked up. Next stop is the marina about 20 miles away. I am stumped and would love any suggestions.

alldodge

Staff member
I would try harder to do the compression test, probably need a gauge with a quick release attachment. While it could be a few things sure as a tune up issue.
Plugs AC MR43T or NGK BR6FS gap .035
Timing 8 BTDC
Idle 650-700 rpm

Edit: and you might still need to replace the battery at 13.9V running, check bat after it has sit for a few hours should be 12.7 or real close

Last edited:

IXLR8

Cadet
I would try harder to do the compression test, probably need a gauge with a quick release attachment. While it could be a few things sure as a tune up issue.
Plugs AC MR43T or NGK BR6FS gap .035
Timing 8 BTDC
Idle 650-700 rpm

Edit: and you might still need to replace the battery at 13.9V running, check bat after it has sit for a few hours should be 12.7 or real close

Thanks AllDodge,
I did put new plugs with NGK BR6FS, and that is the gap (.035) I set them at. I also set the timing and idle and did a load test on the battery to make sure it was ok. I'll have to look again at doing the compression test. It just runs so well but with no power that I was hoping it wasn't that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would also check to see if the flappers dropped down in the leg

IXLR8

Cadet
I would also check to see if the flappers dropped down in the leg

Hmmm. I guess I don't know what you mean by that? I am assuming you mean something to do with the exhaust. This boat has through the hull exhaust if that makes a difference.

IXLR8

Cadet
No Title

This is the kind of exhaust I have.

Attachments

• photo229343.jpg
    photo229343.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229344.JPG
    photo229344.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo229345.jpg
    photo229345.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You don't have a Y-pipe so exhaust shutters are not part of your system

IXLR8

Cadet
So I did a compression test.
1: 142
2: 139
3: 139
4: 138
5: 137
6: 143
7: 140
8: 138

That looked pretty good to me. I guess it's off to the marina. I just hate paying someone $85 and hour to do something I could do if I could just figure out what is going on. I guess that's why they make $85 an hour.

alldodge

Staff member
Good pressure is at 150 psi, but your not to bad if it was done cold.
Have you checked timing, and if so is it set at 8 BTDC?

You have compression, getting spark, so only thing left is fuel.
Is the gas fresh or old?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... What pitch prop ya got on it,..??

Are ya trimmin' the drive in to launch,..??

Is the hull's keel line true, 'n straight, especially the last 4' or 6',..??

With someone else on board, checkin' to see if the 2ndaries are openin' is easy enough,....

Last edited:

IXLR8

Cadet
All Dodge: I set the timing at 8? BTDC on the muffs and gave it a quick shot to 2500 rpms just to see if it advanced. I couldn't tell how much so I threw a timing light on it that you dial the amount of advance into and it was around 20? at close to 2500 rpms. It is kind of hard to do because I am alone on the boat trying to see the tach and the light. I know the dial type lights aren't as accurate but I think it's within a couple of degrees.

Bondo: The prop is a Mercury Revolution 4 prop 48-857030A46 14 5/8 X 23P I am trying to launch with the trim all the way down . The hull looks brand new. No nicks, cracks. dents, dings ...paint is a little faded but other than that it looks perfect. It has trim tabs but those are all the way up, I even took them off temporarily to make sure they weren't doing anything weird when I was in the water. Nada. I haven't checked the secondaries while on the water but I can see them open fully when it is in the garage. They open fine, choke is coming off and the accelerator pump is squirting a good amount of gas.

I'm stumped. The boat has about 585 hours on it. That doesn't seem like a lot but is it time to pull it and rebuild?

alldodge

Staff member
Your engine is worn but not shot, and for me its looking more like you have to much prop for the 20 foot boat. I would suggest a 17 3-blade
Do you know what the drive ratio is?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I also would drop down in prop pitch to aleast 19. Also are you pushing alot of extra weight example water logged foam? Maybe weigh her..

Rick Stephens

Admiral
What type of ignition system? Is it one that requires disabling the advance to set base timing?

IXLR8

Cadet
The drive ration is 1.47. This is the prop that came with the boat and looking at the chart it's supposed to be for all horsepower on an Alpha one drive but prop is what I was thinking too. I have a 3 blade prop that came with it too. I'll have to see what that is. It doesn't have any number on it so it's hard to tell what it is. I don't think the boat is water logged but I can try to figure out a way to weigh her. I think it's supposed to be around 2900 lbs.

It has the Thunderbolt IV ignition.

alldodge

Staff member
23 pitch, 3000 rpm, 1.47 ratio and using 20 mph that would give you about 55% prop slip

If it could get to 4800 rpm and if it only have 15% prop slip it would be moving about 60 mph. In their day did these boats do 60 ?

Bondo

Staff member
The boat has about 585 hours on it. That doesn't seem like a lot but is it time to pull it and rebuild?

Ayuh,...... A compression test will answer that question,......

Look Here, Don S made this list years ago, 'n it ain't been wrong yet,....

IXLR8

Cadet
Ayuh,...... A compression test will answer that question,......

Look Here, Don S made this list years ago, 'n it ain't been wrong yet,....

Thanks for the suggestion but I did a compression test and posted it earlier. It's a little low but I think still OK.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Thanks for the suggestion but I did a compression test and posted it earlier. It's a little low but I think still OK.

Those aren't bad at all for five hundred plus hous. It ain't rings.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Those are respectable numbers, go through the rest of Don's list,....