Trim Limit Bypass Wire Up Help

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Hi Fellas!

I'm working on wiring up a 1989 Merc 4.3 V6 and I'm interested in skipping the the trim limit and running simple up/down.

I see that I need to take the bullet connectors coming from the limit switch (lamp cord style) and connect them together.

From there I have two questions...

#1 What do I do with purple/white wire and the twin blue/white wires I just disconnected? Do I need to do anything with those?

#2 At the helm I am wiring up to a [mom on] [off] [mom on] toggle switch (separate switch, not on the controls). I have purple/white, blue/white, green white, and red/purple wires. I get that blue/white goes to the up pole and the green/white goes to the down pole but how about the other two wires? What am I hooking purple/white and red/purple to?

Thank you in advance!:thumb:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Hi Jason, long time no see,.... Welcome back,.....

The lamp cord wires from the transom just get cut, the blue wires from inside, get jumpered together,...
The purple/ white, I donno,...

At the helm, ya need Power to feed the blue up, 'n green down to power the pump,....
Whichever of yer 2 options that has power, should be the Power wire,... probably the purple/ red,....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Hey Bill, I missed ya man, you are looking good as always!

OK, so what you are saying is take the two blue/white wires and splice those guys together?

Then the purple/white and the two bullets leading to the trim limit I don't need to do anything with those?

I just want to be certain I'm pulling this all together correctly here.

I attached a photo of what I disconnected from the bullet connectors leading to the limit switch. Purple/white on the left twin blue/white wires on the right.

Attachments

• photo229337.JPG
    photo229337.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Yes connect them two together and it bypasses the trim limit.
Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
AOK, fellas...

At the transom, wired up the two blue/white together, left the purple/white along with the limit switch wires alone....

Then at the helm, green/white, blue/white and red/purple wired up on the toggle switch, left the purple/white....

That did it!

Appreciate your help here guys, thank you:becky:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
OK, you jumper the connector with the purple/white and the connector with the two blue/ white wires together. Then your control handle trim switch will work. No need to add a switch.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
If you still want to add a rocker to the helm, find the wires coming from the control. Should br red (12 v), b/w (trailer), p/w (trim) ang g/w ( down). R to center of rocker, b/w to top, g/w to bottom p/w not used. When you push the top, trim up, bottom trim down center off. Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You can parallel wire as many toggle switches as ya want, mounted where ever ya want,....

Mine looks like a signal light lever along side the wheel, port-side, push forward, drive goes Up, pull back, drive goes down,....
Take the plastic extension handle off, it's just a plain ole toggle switch dressed up in some plastic pieces, on a metal bracket,......

Add another at the transom if ya want,....

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Add another at the transom if ya want,....

Yup, that's exactly the plan too:thumb:

That'll be super convenient to have that back there for so many reasons.

Thanks again fellas:joyous: