470 fires when starter engaged, shuts down when ignition is in the run position

juicebronco

Seaman
I blew my 85 170MR and picked up an 83 470 to replace it. Trying to get it running, but it only fires while the ignition is in the start position, and cuts out in the run position. I was told this was the condition it was in when I bought it, but it wasn't even doing that for a while, someone had messed with all sorts of crap I had to correct first.

It currently has a new coil (they purchased) and new ignition switch (they purchased). The wiring was a mess, so I pulled the harness off my 85 engine that I know was good, and installed it on the 83. I also installed my alt conversion kit that was new this year onto the 83, and removed the cobbled version they had on there.

When I test voltage at the coil in the run I get 3.5 and when I test it at the choke I get 10.6, and like 13 at the battery. From what I've read, it seems like I'm not getting enough power to the coil. Should I be getting more at the choke as well?

I ran a jumper wire from the choke to the coil, and was getting 8 volts, and it didn't change anything. Then I ran a jumper from the battery to the coil, and it would run.

I thought these coils are supposed to run off like 6 or 7 volts, so I feel like it should have started then.

Now I'm wondering if they purchased the wrong coil, I have the original one still, and I have the one on my 85, maybe I'll swap one of those in tomorrow.

So what do you folks think I should test next? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the purple wire from the ign switch goes to the choke element first, then a resistance wire runs from the choke to the coil.
UntitledRW22_zpsxjyus3xs.jpg

Last edited:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
They may have got the wrong coil when they got the new one. Some use an external resistor & some have the resistor built in & need full battery voltage supplied to them. It should say on the new coil which it is or you can just try your original coil off of your old motor. Good luck with it. Jim.

juicebronco

Seaman
So I figured out that when I turn the key to the run position it gets power to the coil, but when I go to start and come back to run, I lose power to the coil, like none, my meter doesn't even pretend to sense anything So I'm thinking that something is wrong with the ignition switch itself. I know the one on there is new, and there is an old one laying in the bottom of the boat, but I can't think of anything else that would cause the problem.

juicebronco

Seaman
Ignition switch did the trick, it fired up and ran, pretty rough still, but one step at a time. Thanks for the help.