496 HO Mag best alternator

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure why but after just 50 hours on my 2007 496 the alternator literally melted the back off it. All the wiring seems to be ok the alternator is squeeling now and as stated burnt up. Which alternator to go with? This is the factory Korean version. Which one folks? Also does this one have a built in voltage regulator?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
no, the 3 wire marine version.same number of wires as the mando one.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok, got it. I'm hoping one of the local marine shops around here has one in stock. Thanks for the help.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the link. That helps a lot. Looking at the one I took out it looks like a cheap thrown together pos.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is the rear bearing froze.

nasdaqsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Timing was an issue on this as the water level of the lake is low enough that I am at the bottom of my hoist. We have a local shop that rebuilds them for a very reasonable price and gives a better warantee so went that route. Cost $50.00. Put it back in but before putting the interior all back together I dropped it in the water and test fired her. The alternator is working great but heard a really bad grinding. Took the belt off and found the power sterring pump is toast. Fluid pouring right through the front bearing. So had to order one of those. I do not know why both would go exactly at the same time but they did. The only thing I can figure is the heat created from the melting alternator melted one of the hoses causing it to leak and dump all the fluid ruining the pump. Nothing else seems to make sense. Just hard to fathum with such low hours unless the lack of use is actually the culprit.