stern unit install alpha one

cheyenne81

Recruit
hi all

need some help..I needed to take out my stern unit to replace the engine 95 Merc 3.0LX now the engine is back in and all aligned. When I try to install the stern unit I cannot get the shaft coupler to line up with the shift lever coupler. I followed the manual and it stated the unit needed to be in forward gear however my engine is left hand rotation so the manual stated to put it in reverse which I did, but now I cannot get the unit to line up. The angles being in reverse is almost impossible to line up, is there a easier way? if I move the shifter into forward it all lines up but there is no way this will work as the transmission is in the reverse gear. Any advised would be great on how to solve this. I have no idea on where the shift lever needs to be at this point to get it to line up.

thanks in advance
kevin

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
whatever manual your using with that information ,THROW IT AWAY
engine rotation is viewed from the flywheel, your is a left hand rotation.has nothing to do with installing a drive
With some counter rotating drives in a twin installation , the shift is put in reverse on the port motor but the shifting mechanism is still in a straight line.

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if I move the shifter into forward it all lines up but there is no way this will work as the transmission is in the reverse gear. Any advised would be great on how to solve this. I have no idea on where the shift lever needs to be at this point to get it to line up.

control box in fwd, drive in fwd ( prop will lock turning it counterclockwise. that is fwd) brass shoe will point in a straight line when in fwd gear