Need info on lubrication and fuses Mercruiser 5.0

hz293

Seaman Apprentice
i just bought a 1989 Chaperral 198xl that has been setting for at least 2 years. The steering is very stiff and I believe that adding Delron ll will fix that. If not I'll be back to you experts.

One problem I have is the boat is at a storage facility and I have no access to water so I'll have to drain and check things while the engine is cold. Outside temperatures will still be in the 60,s to 70,s. Will that work ok?

Can you tell me where I will find fuses on my boat?

alldodge

Staff member
i just bought a 1989 Chaperral 198xl that has been setting for at least 2 years. The steering is very stiff and I believe that adding Delron ll will fix that. If not I'll be back to you experts.

One problem I have is the boat is at a storage facility and I have no access to water so I'll have to drain and check things while the engine is cold. Outside temperatures will still be in the 60,s to 70,s. Will that work ok?

Can you tell me where I will find fuses on my boat?

Howdy

Don't know what Delron II is but Dexron II would not be used to free up a steering cable. You could try it but it needs lubrication and more of an oil or light grease. This is if your talking about the cable, but if your talking about the power steering pump then yes, you want Dexron II. The steering should not be stiff to turn if the motor is not running, in or out of the water.

You have a boat and no source of water, not even attaching a hose to the outdrive with muffs? If this is the case your going to have some issues changing fluids.

Fuses in most cases are under the helm/dash.

hz293

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I should have said that it is power steering. Thanks for your response.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Another item that is a must is pulling your outdrive off and inspecting/servicing the drive and its water pump. If your new to you boat has an Alpha1 outdrive it should have the drive pulled, fluids changed, pump inspected every year. New to you, for sure needs doing before starting or splashing the boat. Essential.

Rick

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the steering cable is stiff, it needs to be replaced