Temperature Measurement

bull12001

Cadet
I have a 1986 3.7L Mercruiser that reads 180-200 F on the dash gauge. I don't think it's acurate. I replaced the sender last year and I don't think it's the right one. It is however reading the same thing the old sender was. I've been checking the temp manually with a IR gauge.

Which leads to the point of the thread. Manual says to check it with a direct reading gauge at the sender. According to the readings there the engine is at the temp it should be which is 160s after a haul. Is checking it at the sender with an IR gauge an appropriate method of confirming or is there some heat lost through the brass sender that is giving me a false reading?

Thanks.

Get yourself one of these to confirm your dash gauge: It replaces your radiator cap and has a mechanical thermometer built in. They have different PSI ratings.

If that gauge is correct.....don't let it get that high..... an overheat will give you a blown head gasket....

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-2471.../dp/B000OF9LRO

415t3WEG8iL.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Closed cooling system or open?

The gauge in the dash could just be off, I have a brand new Faria Chronos that is off from what the IR gun says too. Mines a 143 t stat and the motor once warmed up reads that exactly at the t stat housing with the IR but the gauge reads 160.