Water leaking into the boat through the engine coupler area, Still!

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure how your setup is but on mine where the water intake hose passes thru the gimbal housing & thru the transom & into the boat it has a rubber gasket of sorts where the hose from the t-stat housing hooks up at the transom & perhaps if yours has a similar set up it could be leaking???

Last edited:

Jsand

Cadet
I'm not sure how your setup is but on mine where the water intake hose passes thru the gimbal housing & thru the transom & into the boat it has a rubber gasket of sorts where the hose from the t-stat housing hooks up at the transom & perhaps if yours has a similar set up it could be leaking???

That area was what i was thinking, but i can't figure out how it is coming out of the driveline area.

Jsand

Cadet
Thanks for all the ideas, i now have some that i will look at today.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
if its coming from the rear of the motor then the motor has a missing/dis-lodged core plug or a crack.a water leak from the transom cant jump to the back of the motor. you can hook a hose to the therm housing and close off the manifold and riser hoses and apply water you eliminate the drive from the equasion.
If water leaks from the motor the motor is cracked.
Then apply water to the inlet hose you took off, any leak will be very apparent.

water runs downhill, so start at the bottom and work up.
If you suspect the Y pipe, remove the risers and stick a hose down and turn on the water, water leaking inside the boat is a rotted Y pipe.
If no water leaked then suspect the trim hose plate and gasket
Removing the drive would show water in the main bellow if that was bad, the shift boot can be visually looked at for tears or rips.

the typical setup is the connector fitting coming thru the transom to a PS cooler, to the therm housing, out of the motor to the manifolds and risers.

998cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's where my leak was, and it was a serious leak.
Russ

riz

Recruit
I had a similar problem jsand....as soon as I backed it into the water I'd get a trickle sound. turned out to be a hole inside the transom plate.

photo (5).JPG

Jsand

Cadet
I had a similar problem jsand....as soon as I backed it into the water I'd get a trickle sound. turned out to be a hole inside the transom plate.

I think that is exactly what is going on with mine. I hooked a water hose up to the inlet line and ran water all the way through with the motor running. No leak!
I took it back to the river and unloaded it again, and didn't even start it and i water water running out of the driveline area again. Brought it home and pulled the outdrive off. The driveline bellows was completely dry.
It has to be a hole in the transom plate, there is no other reasonable answer.

I appreciate your picture and helping me out with it. I think most everyone else thought i was crazy or something.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Get someone to run a hose on it while you look around inside. Look at the trim hose manifold. Run the hose all the way around the perimeter of the transom plate. Doesn't have to be a break, just something not tightened or a gasket not intact.

Fun Times

Staff member
Get someone to run a hose on it while you look around inside. Look at the trim hose manifold. Run the hose all the way around the perimeter of the transom plate. Doesn't have to be a break, just something not tightened or a gasket not intact.
I was just about to say the same thing before finding your post. :thumb: