Gimbal bearing blown out removal

Brycelago

Recruit
Just bought a 79 century Arabian 350 mercuriser out drive took it out of the first time heard a growl about an hour after anchoring went tubing and then the gimbal bearing went out so limped it back into the trailer and the next day took lower unit off and there was water all in the bellows tube the seal on the lower unit had broken bellows tubes appear to be intact but the gimbal bearing was destroyed ball bearings and races all broken out so I got the race out but now I'm trying to get the outer housing out with the carrier and I can't budge it any suggestions????

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nothing for the fingers of the puller to grab hold of, I take it the outer ring is still seated tight?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
can post some pics tomorrow but you can carefully drill a few 1/4 inch holes and remove a section , then remove the remainder

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Whacked mine about 5 or 6 times with my big slide hammer & it came right out. It has an attachment that is "L" shaped that I was able to hook in behind the carrier & give it a few whacks. It took a couple good ones to get it moving but it wasn't too bad.

thumpar

Admiral
I used the Autozone loan a tool program and got a 3 jaw puller to take mine out. After you return the tool it is free after the deposit. It only took me a couple whacks.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The way I read the OP's problem is that the only thing left is the outer ring of the bearing seated in the assembly and since it's nuked he can't get a hold on it. He's not coming back around after a couple days so either he got it out or had to walk away for a while. :lol:

I would try creating some groves in the bearing ring with a dremel grinding wheel that would allow the pullers fingers to grab on and slide hammer it out.