4.3L OMC Mercruiser - Oil Level

basilio

Cadet
My engine does NOT have an oil level dipstick. I have stared at my motor for dozens of minutes and there is no dipstick. It DOES have a tube going into the oil pan with an oil pressure sensor/sender installed on it. How do I determine my oil level? The pressure is good, but every motor uses SOME oil. I would like to know if I need to add an ounce or a quart. Thanks, long time lurker.

alldodge

Staff member
My engine does NOT have an oil level dipstick. I have stared at my motor for dozens of minutes and there is no dipstick. It DOES have a tube going into the oil pan with an oil pressure sensor/sender installed on it. How do I determine my oil level? The pressure is good, but every motor uses SOME oil. I would like to know if I need to add an ounce or a quart. Thanks, long time lurker.

Look on the sides of the block, you should find a bulge angled out the side, more then likely the starboard side. This angle should have a tube coming out of it. If it has been plugged then someone removed it

Bondo

Staff member
It DOES have a tube going into the oil pan with an oil pressure sensor/sender installed on it.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Got a picture,..??

There's No pressure to measure in the pan,.....

basilio

Cadet
The boat sensor/meter indicate adequate oil pressure. Its 105 degrees here, I will see if I can get under the cover and get a picture and look for the bulge.

basilio

Cadet
Pictures are unremarkable. I used a flashlight to look along both sides of the block. I found the water and oil senders but no dip stick. Unsure of the year. I get this message when attempting to upload one Jpeg. Your file of 1941036 bytes exceeds the limit of 400000. IMG_1584.JPG. Engine serial # 0d600245 MerCruiser.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know why someone would do it, but my post 2 mentioned it is more then likely starboard but to check both sides. At the time I didn't know what year your motor was

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For some reference, here's where my 4.3's dipstick is located.

IMAG0714.jpg

thumpar

Admiral
Maybe it is just missing the actual dipstick. Is the tube there? It will have threads on top.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Even if the tube & all is missing it shouldn't be too hard to find the hole it goes in & the accompanying "bulge" that alldodge referred to. Although, I do realize some boats have zero room in the engine bay. I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff come from the factory working in a GM dealership for a number of years, but never a missing dipstick & it's bulge.

basilio

Cadet
Bingo! Buy that man a beer!! I never looked that close to the bulkhead and that far down. But there it is. Thank you!

I was looking for something automotive type. Glad to have found it,now all we need is water to boat on.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Great news, I'm glad someone hadn't ripped your dipstick out. :lol: Most parts of the country you still have a good month left to hit the waves :thumb:

It's that time of year again, I'll have a cold Sam Adams Oktoberfest! :very_drunk:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Huh- I never saw one down there. Mine are on the port side of the motor, right up front, high up, with a yellow ball on top of the dipstick. OP, you might want to paint the loop at the of the stick so you don't have to keep finding it.