Mercruiser 7.4 MPI loss of power/stalling/will not restart

alldodge

Staff member
FT help me understand how a damaged cap can be the cause of lube oil to fill up the bottle enough to come spilling out of it. The cap is vented, and if oil can come out of it air can do it even easier. The cap is required to allow air to be exchanged inside as needed. Damaged or not damaged the lube is filling up and spilling out of it. Where is the extra lube coming from?

Fun Times

Staff member
FT help me understand how a damaged cap can be the cause of lube oil to fill up the bottle enough to come spilling out of it. The cap is vented, and if oil can come out of it air can do it even easier. The cap is required to allow air to be exchanged inside as needed. Damaged or not damaged the lube is filling up and spilling out of it. Where is the extra lube coming from?
The orange valve on top of the cap is a one-way check valve....Usually when it goes bad the oil level rises and leaks out the top. Below are many examples of it happening to others.

Re: Stern drive oil coming out of reservoir

I'm surprise no one knew the cap on the jug is a one way valve. It sucks but don't blow. If there is fluid coming out, then either the cap ain't tight or the rubber check valve in it is bad. If anyone don't believe it, remove the cap on yours and go out for a run. The captive air in the top of the outdrive will heat up and expand and blow oil out the top of the jug.
<http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...drive-oil-coming-out-of-reservoir#post1290413

Or many more,
http://www.bing.com/search?q=mercru...=-1&sk=&cvid=4C63C0F48346439990A8D05F87A01CEA

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks FT, the iboat link has a story, the bing not so much, have to wade thru several to get to another. Going to have to rig something up so not to make a mess and try it on my boat.

I'll still say that this guys mechanic needs to go, he works for a dealer and should know his stuff and if you read thru all the postings this guy hasn't much of a clue.

alldodge

Staff member
Should also add that for the first half dozen times I took my boat out, after stopping at the dock I would open the hatch and find the lube bottle a slight bit low. I would open it up and never had or heard any pressure release. I then top off the bottle and go for the next time. It has since settled and there is no need to add. So if the build up of pressure does happen it must dissipate real quick

timschap

Cadet
Update: Well the tank as been pumped, all 8 of the injectors have been replaced, new fuel pump has been put in, new anti-syphon, new gas cap, new fuel line ... still doing it (all of a sudden the vacuum goes to 8 psi and engine stops working). He thinks there is something in the tank that restricts the fuel flow all of a sudden (had it out on a sea trial worked great for over an hour, coming off plane did it again). I talked to him about hooking up the other two fuel pick up tubes (there were 4 all together two stb, two port) and have them work in tandem, it would have to be something "big" to plug all three of the up (the fourth is out of commission). Any thoughts?

timschap

Cadet
RE: out drive oil back up. According to the mechanic the oil the Merc uses can absorb "some" moisture. This cause more oil and cause it to overflow. He drained the oil (said it looked bad) and replaced the top seal in the drain plug (said it looked bad)... he think this "fixed" that problem.

RE: fuel rail, the mechanic said it was still good but rusty but usable. He flushed it out and said it was OK.

alldodge

Staff member
According to the mechanic the oil the Merc uses can absorb "some" moisture. This cause more oil and cause it to overflow. He drained the oil (said it looked bad) and replaced the top seal in the drain plug (said it looked bad)... he think this "fixed" that problem.

:facepalm: I'm having a hard time here with your mechanic, I should leave it up to FT he is the number one expert here

Fun Times

Staff member
Update: Well the tank as been pumped, all 8 of the injectors have been replaced, new fuel pump has been put in, new anti-syphon, new gas cap, new fuel line ... still doing it (all of a sudden the vacuum goes to 8 psi and engine stops working). He thinks there is something in the tank that restricts the fuel flow all of a sudden (had it out on a sea trial worked great for over an hour, coming off plane did it again). I talked to him about hooking up the other two fuel pick up tubes (there were 4 all together two stb, two port) and have them work in tandem, it would have to be something "big" to plug all three of the up (the fourth is out of commission). Any thoughts?
On your boat, how hard would it be to remove the fuel pickup fittings from the fuel tank in order to inspect the fuel tank pickup tubes and "screens" that should always be found at the end of the tubes?

If you can remove the fittings than that would give you the chance to inspect the inside of the fuel tank as well which seems to be needed as your vacuum readings are to high.

The following link is a 'How to test fuel vacuum rewritten by one of iboats many respected members JustJason, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi.../290505-how-to-testing-your-boats-fuel-system

When the vacuum goes high, As a test, be sure to open the gas cap to relieve/re-vent the fuel tank....Also be sure the fuel tank vent fitting, vent hose is not clogged, kinked or damaged and will flow air when adding some for testing.

Now what he wants to do is find out why the vacuum is so high (where the restriction is. Since it did the same thing with the remote tank (could not get above 2800 rpms under load, my guess would be some where beyond the fuel filter.
This quote from post # 16 is concerning though. It seems to read that the fuel vacuum went as high as 8 In. Hg while on the remote fuel tank/s? You may want to reconfirm the vacuum numbers, the fuel pressure numbers and the driveability of the engines while on remote fuel tanks (1 for each engine) so you know if you have a boat problem or an engine problem.

Is there an inline fuel filter mounted before the screw on type water separator fuel filter at the engine?

Did he say he found signs of water inside the sterndrive when he pulled the oil drain plug?
In some cases when first pulling the oil drain plug, clear water might pour out first before the oil should it have a big leak or you'll see white milky looking oil as it comes out with smaller leaks.