97' Kayot Ultrastar 262 mag acceleration problem

jwatts1980

Cadet
I have a 97' Kayot Ultrastar 262 mag with alpha I. On occasion it doesn't want to get on plane, it just bogs, but then it's just like you flip a switch and jumps right up. I've changed props and gave it a tune up with no change. And at wot it will bog but you pull the throttle back a little and runs fine. I've worked on cars and boats for a long time but never messed with a tbi on a boat. Any insight on this problem would be appreciated thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 97' Kayot Ultrastar 262 mag with alpha I. On occasion it doesn't want to get on plane, it just bogs, but then it's just like you flip a switch and jumps right up. I've changed props and gave it a tune up with no change. And at wot it will bog but you pull the throttle back a little and runs fine. I've worked on cars and boats for a long time but never messed with a tbi on a boat. Any insight on this problem would be appreciated thanks.

Howdy

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Do you have a VST or cool fuel installed? Need to check your fuel pressure.

VST http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=90&bdesc=Vapor+Separator+Tank+And+Fuel+Lines
Cool Fuel http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...Fuel+Pump+And+Fuel+Cooler(Fuel+Cooled+System)

jwatts1980

Cadet
I haven't yet but I plan on pulling the filter this afternoon if i can find where it's located. I do know it has the cool fuel system on it.
I've replaced the water/fuel separator.

jwatts1980

Cadet
Should I be able to here the fuel pump running at idle? When I'm in the no wake zones I can here it kicking on and off.

alldodge

Staff member
I've replaced the water/fuel separator.
This was the filter I was referring to

Should I be able to here the fuel pump running at idle? When I'm in the no wake zones I can here it kicking on and off.
The fuel pump should be a constant hum or sort of a whine. Don't know what would be going on and off, if it is the pump this could be the issue.

Could use a code reader to see if there are any set, but without that need an adapter to measure your fuel pressure at the Throttle Body, should se 30PSI

jwatts1980

Cadet
Well I finally got a chance to change the fuel pump with no change. How do I go about checking the timing?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... What motor are We talkin' 'bout,..??

alldodge

Staff member
Well I finally got a chance to change the fuel pump with no change. How do I go about checking the timing?

Your 262 (4.3 V6) uses and electric fuel pump which is controlled by the engine computer (ECM). The ECM supplies power to the fuel pump relay which turns the pump on. With it going on/off there is either a bad connection (positive or Negative) or bad relay.

Don't see your problem being timing because you posted "On occasion it doesn't want to get on plane, it just bogs". If it was timing it would not go away and come back again. Need to find someone which can scan the engine for codes.

Need to check your relay connections and power. If you have a loose connection on the battery cables this to can cause the issue

jwatts1980

Cadet
Ok thank I'll give it a try. I read somewhere on here you could use a resisted led and a paper clip to get the codes but how do I find out what the codes are?

Thanks for all the help.

alldodge

Staff member
Need a paper clip and an LED with built in resistor, or can buy a ready made. When the key is turned to ON the light will flash, then a pause, then more flashes, then longer pause followed by more flashes if more then one code. Count the flashes

DLC with LED code reader.jpg

jwatts1980

Cadet
I almost forgot something what is the difference between a alpha 1 gen 2 and a gen +? I was trying to find a gimbal bearing and all I can find is for a gen 2.

Bondo

Staff member
I almost forgot something what is the difference between a alpha 1 gen 2 and a gen +? I was trying to find a gimbal bearing and all I can find is for a gen 2.

Ayuh,.... Gen + is the motor,.... Gen.II is the drive,....

jwatts1980

Cadet
I know it’s been a while since I posted but I still have the same boat and still have the same problem just Learned to deal with it. Now I finally got code 42 so I did all of the checks going by the flow chart and now I don’t have and spark but I have fuel pressure and the injectors are firing. Sorry for waiting so long to post again

alldodge

Staff member
Code 42is most likely a bad connection between the Ignition control module to the ECM. It can be a bad ground on the ECM, module or pin with corrosion on it. Could also be in the distributor but most cases its not

jwatts1980

Cadet
I was checking connections and grounds today and noticed a black wire tied back just below the reset and to the right of the distributor. Is the supposed to be like that? It has a ring lug on it and it’s just tied back with the wires for the solenoid and reset.