4.3 mercruiser TKS engine temperature fluctuating from 165 to 100 and back

thekidd77

Cadet
New to me 2006 Caravelle 187 LS , ran well first day on the water, but kept running on dieseling, read everything on here about that, put in premium gas before heading out for 4 days, still was running on "dieseling", read the part about rpm and at idle in gear it was around 900, adjusted the screw until it was 650 stopped dieseling, and was fixed

next day hit the water and the temp alarm went off as it reached 200 F, scratched my head as it cooled off, ran rest of the day no problem but seemed higher 180 ish the rest of the day than the usual 165, start out the next day and it does it again, as I'm looking at it while it cools off I notice the one hose clamp on the large intake hose on left side is totally loose, probably allowing air in or at least less water flow to the pump, I tighten it and all is perfect the rest of the day and its running back at 165-170.

next day exact opposite, the engine warms up and reaches 165 but as soon as you start cruising it gradually swings down to 100, than still while cruising it gradually climbs back to 165, then it swings back down to 100, did this for a good hour or so....only explanation I have is that the thermostat is sticking open, but wondering if anyone has any other thoughts, Im pretty sure the sensors and gauges are good, as the gauge and buzzer are two different sensors and they were corroborating each other

when I winterized it last fall right after buying it, the engine block wouldn't drain without poking wires in the holes and fishing some debris out, so I would also be interested in a procedure for giving the engine a good flush, I never once had a blockage when draining the block on my 95 4.3, so have a feeling this boat was ran in a cruddy lake

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sounds like you're going to be replacing the T stat.

t's pretty normal for there to be some debris blocking the drains. Sometimes if there's been some storms or run off that puts flotsam on the water I will just run the motor up to operating temp on the muffs when I get home to flush out the cooling system.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Totally sounds like a thermostat problem... The shop manual for my boat tells you to poke a wire in the drains to loosen rust and debris. Pretty normal stuff, Watermann hit the nail on the head.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Agree with the above, especially if debris is in the cooling system. Doesn't take much for something to get caught in the thermostat. If you don't know the last time the thermostat was replaced, it doesn't cost that much just to put a new one in for piece of mind. The cost of a thermostat is very cheap compared to the damage that a malfunctioning one can cause.

thekidd77

Cadet
No Title

I picked up a new thermostat, and debris is mild...darn rocks lol

Attachments

• photo227393.jpg
    photo227393.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeap, that'll do it alright, nice work Kidd!

fetch

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Having to poke the drain holes is normal. But I will run the engine on muffs with the block drains out. Run about 1200 rpm until all the crud is out. Makes a bit of a mess in the bilge so you need to clean it afterwards.
Sure looks like the thermostat was your problem ---- but if it didn't fix the problem, check the circulator pump impeller, temp swinging up and down is a classic symptom of a cracked impeller.