Hmm, missing a part of my leg

nola mike

Vice Admiral
40 mile jaunt today for lunch. Coolant leak may be stopped for now, but when I got home I noticed that I was missing part #4, and maybe 3 from the below diagram. What exactly is #3? I won't have access to civilization for a while. Looks like the parts are only there to keep water out of the Allen bolt inside. Could I just epoxy or silicone a piece of plastic over there until I can get the parts?
https://www.mercruiserparts.com/Sho...r=70&bdesc=DRIVESHAFT+HOUSING+AND+DRIVE+GEARS

Last edited:

Alumarine

Captain
Part number 4 is a welch plug which I believe is used to cover a hole from the casting process.
Part number 3 is probably still there. Its screwed into the drive on the other side of the cavity that #4 is covering.
You can go to a dealer or maybe even an auto parts store and get a new welch plug and bang it in.
The concave side goes in.
I used 3M 4200 to seal mine, nail polish would work too.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Took a closer look in that hole, and saw my shift slide in there. Trying to remember my anatomy, but have I now exposed my shift cable to water? Anything else that I need to be concerned about?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Yes, you have now exposed the cable to water. You will need to seal that plug up and evaluate your cable. If it were me, I would put a new cable on.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Figured as much, thanks. Found a plastic plug that fit perfect, siliconed it in. Probably still have water in there though. Will wait till the off season and replace the cable then when I pull the drive.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
No Title

There was a ton of water in there, and the cable became sticky the next day. Replaced the cable. Couldn't find a suitable plug, ended up using the below coin, which fits perfectly. Epoxied that in. There was again water in the shift cavity, so I pulled the drive, removed the cable and blew everything dry.

Attachments

• photo229271.jpg
    photo229271.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is that called the 50 cent fix? :smile: Whatever works, right?

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ironically, the correct part costs 16x as much. Literally throwing money at the problem :)