81 260 mercruiser starts will run then stalls

sjl74

Cadet
Serial number 3804665. Starts every time the key is turned runs about a minute then stalls. Rebuilt the carb, installed resister for coil as purple wire from ignition switch was replaced. They were running 12 volts to the coil an the coil said that it needs external resister. Points have been replaced with what looks like a flame thrower 2 pick up. Just guessing on that as i found a coil for that system

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
When it is running, does it run smooth? When you rebuilt the carb, did you adjust your idle in water or on muffs? I would go through your fuel system as well, fuel filter, fresh fuel, etc. If you had bad fuel, you may want to consider tackling that carb again.

sjl74

Cadet
New fuel filter, water separator Filter, running off gas can or fuel tank with seven pounds of pressure

sjl74

Cadet
Sorry its a little rough just reopened the carb yesterday and inspected found nothing wrong

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
So when it stalls is there gas in the carb? If you move the throttle do you get 2 good squrits. If so id say it's electrical issue. Is this all new to you boat or was it running fine before?

sjl74

Cadet
Just bought the boat. Was told the starter went bad. I replaced it. Fuel does spray in when I pump it. Here a very loud sucking sound from carburetor before it shuts down.

Bondo

Staff member
Fuel does spray in when I pump it. Here a very loud sucking sound from carburetor before it shuts down.

Ayuh,..... Right then, at that point,..... Is there power at the coil's (+) terminal,..??..??