shift cable?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Ok one more thing I've found that I'm not sure of on this #1 outdrive. There is a long rectangle piece of the shift mechanism that slides back & forth in a pocket in the upper housing as you operate the shifter. It is bone dry & full of sand & dirt. After I get it cleaned up should it be greased up real good?

Na, I don't believe grease there would be necessary. The cable is lubed internally and I think may be teflon coated.

That area though does collect junk, and can sometimes keep the shift cable from being pulled enough to engage reverse.. gets pulled for reverse. So it's good to clean it out.

Also good to clean out the front cavity on the lower half of the outdrive. If your's is still split in two. There's a drain hole at the bottom of that cavity that gets buggered up with junk. Suppose to be a water drain to empty that cavity out, the one around the splined shift shaft on the lower.

Last edited:

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, thanks Eric. There's a lot of greasy bits of dirt & junk in that pocket around the shift shaft on the lower that I'm going to clean out. I'll look for the drain hole when I do. Would that drain hole be that tiny hole on the front R/S of the lower that's right above the fat part where the prop shaft & gears are? Always wondered what that little hole was for. Thanks. Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Eric. I don't think I've ever had water coming out of it while on the hose but I'll be fixin' that.