outdrive gasket set?

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Can anyone tell me if this gasket set includes the o-ring that seals the water port between the upper drive housing & I think it's called the bell housing? Where the upper drive housing mates to. I want to make sure that o-ring is included before I order it & I can't find any listing for the o-ring individually. I have a. #1 outdrive #4432173 & the outdrive gasket set for it is a Sierra #18-2614. OEM 27-64818A1, 27-64818T4 or 27-64818Q4 it's on page 696 of my Sierra catalog Thanks. Jim.

Alumarine

Captain
The Sierra one does and the OEM Drive/Belll Housing gasket sets do as well.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you Marc, I thought they did but wanted to make sure I was getting the right gasket set. This is the first time the outdrive has been pulled on this boat in 25+ yrs & other than the o-ring around that water port being very flat & the two o-rings on the yoke shaft being a little hard, everything else is in remarkably good shape. All the bellows are still soft & flexible & show no signs of wear & tear. It's a 1976 boat & I've been around it since about '91 or '92 & it's never been apart during that time & I just knew all that stuff was going to need replacing but I was quite surprised to see it all in good shape. Just serviced the water pump impeller & I'm greasing the joints & e all the zerks & as soon as my gaskets get here gonna get her back on the water after a season or two of being dry docked in the back yard. Can't wait to get her back out in the water! Thanks. Jim.

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
After I pulled the upper housing & I got to checking everything out I noticed the rubber part of the seal where the driveshaft on the lower unit engages the splines on the upper was kinda crooked, like turned 90? from its normal position & seperated from the metal housing it's in. I'm going to order a new one tomorrow but is there any special tools or procedure to change that seal? It looks like I can just pry the metal ring out with a pry bar from the front of the housing thru the exhaust chamber, perhaps? I think there's actually 2 seals in there, an upper & a lower. I'll order them both to be safe. Part #'s are 18-2049 for the upper seal & 18-2056 for the lower. Thanks. Jim.

PS- Just curious, why is there an O-ring on the driveshaft if there are oil seals up there too??

Fun Times

Staff member
After I pulled the upper housing & I got to checking everything out I noticed the rubber part of the seal where the driveshaft on the lower unit engages the splines on the upper was kinda crooked, like turned 90? from its normal position & seperated from the metal housing it's in. I'm going to order a new one tomorrow but is there any special tools or procedure to change that seal? It looks like I can just pry the metal ring out with a pry bar from the front of the housing thru the exhaust chamber, perhaps? I think there's actually 2 seals in there, an upper & a lower. I'll order them both to be safe. Part #'s are 18-2049 for the upper seal & 18-2056 for the lower. Thanks. Jim.

PS- Just curious, why is there an O-ring on the driveshaft if there are oil seals up there too??
Time for some homework my friend.:)http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-one-upper-vertical-driveshaft-lower-oil-seal

biggjimm

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you Fun Times. That is what I thought replacing that seal would involve but wanted to make sure. I don't know how I missed that thread as I had searched the topic before posting & it never showed that one. I probably didn't word my query correctly. Thanks again, that was just what I was looking for. Jim.