Gimble bearing install direction

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've always installed with notches in. Am I making more work for next time? I can get the puller for free at autozone so its not a big deal.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
The book says notches in, but it should not make any difference since you replace the whole unit not just the inner bearing.

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, it doesn't matter. Reasoning behind notches in was so the entire bearing would be replaced when needed, instead of just replacing the inner piece

ziggy

Admiral
agreed w/ others. when i replaced mine, i replaced it, notches in, forcing me to R&R it proper if i got to do that. mine was notches out when i first encountered the job. i just got the replacement brg part. i did it. but after talking with folks on iboats i was convinced i was up to no good. prior to putting it all back together again, i R&Red the whole thing again with the oem part and put the notches in. again, forcing me to do it right if i ever have to do it again.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
What's the reason for changing the hole thing? I've replaced 2 gimble bearings in two separate boats and did just the bearing checked alignment and never a problem..First was four years and I sold boat. The boat I own now is going on its third season with just the bearing in the old outter. I'm not disputing it just wondering why is all..

Bondo

Staff member
I've never believed the part where it says "the bearing is selectively fitted to the cartridge during manufacturing".
That's like saying a tapered bearing is fitted to its race. They are precision machined parts and should be interchangeable.

Ayuh,.... Not necessarily 'tween Manufacturers,.....

Puttin' the slots forward relieves any doubt the cartridge is completely changed, 'n not cobbed together,....

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I put it toward. Front of the motor needs to come up a bit.

bigbob_FTW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Against my better judgement I decided to replace the water hose. Trying to get the new one on makes me hate life. I think my boy learned some new words today.