Will a tall valve cover fit on a 454?

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put new rockers on my 1988 chris craft with a 454. Now the stock valve covers wont sit down on the head. I kind of thought this may happen. I look online and i see two heights listed for BBC valve covers. Standard height and tall. I (think) standard height is 2-5/8" i (think) tall is 4"

I have the stock manifolds and risers so i am reluctant to order a set of tall covers just to find they interfere with the risers. Does anyone know if a tall valve cover will fit?

NHGuy

Captain
I have seen where tall valve covers will run into the exhaust. You can use a straightedge to approximate it. Measure up 4" from the manifold and see if it clears the exhaust.
Don't know if this will work for you but when I did roller rockers in my previous small block I reused the OE valve covers by removing the internal bridging where it interfered with the rockers.

Last edited:

alamantia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hummmm... good idea. I know on my last boat it had a 350 and those valve covers were right up on the risers. This big block looks a bit more forgiving. Oddly enough the damn thing had roller rockers on it with the stock short valve covers with the oil drippers. One valve was tapping so when i pulled the valve cover i saw needle bearings in the head (and probably in the pan) and i traced it to a bad rocker. They were small ass roller rockers. So i put new lifters in it and ordered a set of scorpian rollers because they are supposed to "fit under most stock valve covers" yeah right. I removed all the drippers and im at least 1/2" away. The damn polylocks are hitting. I should have just bought stamped rockers. I think 1/2" is too far to stack up gaskets. We have 1/8" aluminum sheets at work and a fiber laser. I suppose i could burn some spacers tomorrow. Idunno. I just want to be on the water drinking beer. This sucks