Hole in my bellow!!!

gwood411

Recruit
On my last trip to the lake, I noticed my bilge pump was starting to run more than normal. So first place I check are the bellows and low and behold I have a damaged drive bellow. I also have gear oil leaking from the bellow, I'm confident I can replace the bellows and gimbal bearing since I have it open. However I'm not finding much info on replacing the seals on the drive unit itself, that make me feel comfortable do it myself. Should I take the unit to a shop to have the seals replaced?

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
You can take it to a shop if you want . . .

Let us know what exact outdrive you have so comments can be more specific. If you are only planning on doing the drive shaft seal, then not too bad, but you will need special tools. You may want to pressure test the outdrive just to be sure that it is the seal(s) and not something else . . .

gwood411

Recruit
Alpha 1 Gen 1 outdrive. Serial Number 00894045

What special tools will be needed?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the spanner for the castle nut and ordinary tools. If the original gearset is in there , tighten the nut.
If the newer gearset is installed, rolling torque method must be used

gwood411

Recruit
I still need to do the pressure test, I pulled the drive off late last night. Should that many threads be showing?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    776.8 KB · Views: 0