trim gauge

jhobbs26

Cadet
my 1997 bayliner capri 3.0XL alpha 1 does not have a trim gauge. I would like to add one, how big of a chore is this and are there any write ups with adding one?

FYI, i do have mechanical abilities, however this is my first boat and do not know much about them. reading this forum and my service manuals that came with the boat have increased my knowledge tenfold.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I would first check to see that the trim sender & wiring is in place . . .

Starboard pivot point of the outdrive for the sender and the wiring comes through the transom assembly and is probably tied off at the rear of the engine somewhere.

If that is all in place, you will just need the trim gauge (any after market that is intended for Mercruiser will do, but if you can get one that is a good match to the rest of your gauges, even better)

You will want to review the layout of your instrument panel and the space behind it to see where you can best place a gauge in the instrument cluster.

Your boat may already have the wiring for the gauge, so you will want to check that out by reviewing the wiring diagram for your engine and see if there is an unused wire of the correct color coding (brown/white ???) at the rear of the engine and also at the helm. If so, then you are in good shape. there should also be a ground wire at the rear of the engine that is unused, as that will be for the sender as well. The connectors are opposing male/female bullet style.

You would then only need to connect to the +12v and Ground wiring from another gauge at the helm, using some 'piggy back' connectors.

The hole you drill for the gauge will most likely be a 2" hole, but verify that once you have the trim gauge.

So, those are my comments, other may have additional comments as well.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Most likely have the the sender already. On my old boat there was not gauge but sender and wires were there. You will have to do some looking behind the engine and trace the wires to see where they end.

jhobbs26

Cadet
ok, thanks guys. been racing modifieds and sprint cars on the local dirt tracks since 2001, decided to trade it all in and bought a 5th wheel and boat. time to enjoy the family life. I'll check out my service manual for those wires.