Boat won't start - Sat for 5 years

xsnoboard

Cadet
Hello,

My friend is looking to buy a 2003 larson that has a carburetored mercruiser 3.0 that won't start. It has been sitting for 5 years. What is the best order of operation to start with besides new gas.

Thanks

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As you said start with new gas, that includes getting the old stuff out of the lines, new filter(s); fuel pump all the way to the carb. The carb needs to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly and adjusted; if not replaced. If no luck after that, check plugs and work your way back checking electrical system. Usually this forum would tell you to pull the plugs and turn the engine over by hand before you try and start it, but it sounds like you've already cranked it over with the starter. Btw, this is just advice on how to get the engine started; you need to replace the water pump, check gimbal bearing, bellows; change fluids Etc; before you should be running it..good luck

Last edited:

xsnoboard

Cadet
Appreciate the reply. Yes after hitting the starter solenoid with a hammer a few times we got it to crank.

Thanks again I will start with the gas and move through your list.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If the boat sat outside uncovered for 5 years, pass on it. The fact you had to hit the solenoid with a hammer tells me its been sitting in the elements.

jorgeoliva

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was you I check compression on the piston after 5 yrs the piston rings might lock up and you get very low compression not good